Home Technical Talk

Transparent Texture Not Appearing Correctly in 3ds Max Viewport

I've created both my diffuse and my black/white transparent map for the model I'm building. I load both maps into the material editor (diffuse from the diffuse rollout and transparency from the transparency rollout). Then I assign the new material to my model and enable the button to show the map in the viewport, I end up with a model that is black and white. If I render the model the textures appear just fine with my applied transparencies. The issue is that I want to be able to view the diffuse texture with it's respective transparencies in the viewport.

I've checked my preference and viewport configuration settings. I tried googling the issue. I even tried different file formats (tga, png, and bmp) and none of these helped.

I'm currently using 3ds max 2009 (64 bit). Anyone help to solve this problem is appreciated.

Replies

• Simpletool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a picture to show the issue I'm having. You can see the model's texture appears black and white. Instead of showing the diffuse with the appropriate transparency.

example1m.th.jpg
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the geo this is being applied to? It looks like a cube? By default backface culling isn't enabled, but backfaces are shown black. I wonder if your transparency is working fine but you're just seeing through to the backfaces below it?

[edit] I read a bit closer this time. You need to click the preview cube button on the material itself, not on the bitmaps.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to enable show in viewport for the topmost level of your material. Right now it seems you've enabled show in viewport for the opacity map, which will only show you that map, which is why you have black and white.

Though the black white seems like it should be flipped?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First make sure the viewport is configured correctly. Right click the viewport label and see what the transparency setting is set to, should be simple or best.

It also depends on where your opacity map is, if its in the alpha channel you need to set it from RGB Intensity to Alpha in the bitmap parameters rollout for the map. But since its rendering fine I think its just a preview problem.

Might just need to click on the opacity map, and click the blue/white checkered "show map in viewport" button. So that particular map is enabled.
  • Simpletool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to enable show in viewport for the topmost level of your material. Right now it seems you've enabled show in viewport for the opacity map, which will only show you that map, which is why you have black and white.

This is exactly what the issue turned out to be.

Thanks for the help.