Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ Portfolio ] Joris Hoogeboom

Hey guys, after much peer pressure, *cough* Rens you fool *cough*, I decided to finally post this up and get some crits going.
It's by long not finished, needs some polish and I gotta work through a whole lot of rough material and put it online, but looking for crits on how it looks now, maybe layout/general.

The idea was to keep it very simple and straightforward in organisation, so I could maybe play a little bit with type, style and elements within that, though still keeping it very neutral, yet slick.

http://www.jorishoogeboom.com/

Let me know if I achieved that goal. Oh and I'm curious how the typeface displays for people, as it's a bit experimental javascript from ---> http://typeface.neocracy.org/

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jie the layout is simple but good

but i think it would look better if the hammer-pic would line up with the white bar or if there is at least some background different to black..

and imo it would look better if the whole page would be centered.. but that could be just a matter of taste
  • dehebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the symplistic theme, fonts etc.

not sure if they are supposed to be working yet, but non of the links do anything on clicking
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    none of your links work for the other pages
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice and simple, just this side of annoying on the graphic design-typeface side of things :P Work looks good too, but the hammer seems to blend in with the BG a bit much in imo.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StJoris, You've got some nice looking work up there. I like the simplicity of your site, I'm planning to do something similar with my own site once I get around to updating it. You were wondering about typeface issues well here's what happened to me. I'm running firefox with the noscript addon which blocks javascript running by default.

Here's how your site looks to me at first:

joris_scripts_disabled_1.jpg

joris_scripts_disabled_2.jpg

And here's how it looked after I enabled scripts on your site:

joris_scripts_enabled_1.jpg

joris_scripts_enabled_2.jpg

I don't usually like allow scripts to run on most sites, but it seems as though everyone's using flash or something on their portfolios that makes me enable them, oh well.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    one little word of advice (classy layout so far btw!!) : never use filler text as a temporary solution for your folio design mockups. You will be tempted to keep the text in the final version, and verbose folios are always annoying!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I really like it! The rollover effect doesnt work in IE7, and in Safari and Chrome the links are underlined and look kind of messy. The last image is kind of unclear, maybe less photoshop(I can see you sharpened, sneaky bastard :P) Cool portfolio none the less! :D

PS: A nitpicky thing about that hammer model, the placing of the nails on top seems kind of odd. If you actually hit something with the hammer, half the nails would probably fall out of their holding place. And thats coming from somebody with two left hands :P
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!
    You are so right, those links indeed don't work yet because there is no content for those part yet, working on those ones.

Rasmus, thanks dude, fan of your work here :) Yeah that part is bugging me too, top on my list of things to fix.

Ben, good call, I hadn't really thought about people disabling javascript scripts alltogether, gotta catch those users and present them with a somewhat nicer font than this.

Pior, thanks man! I really want to keep some text out there though. You know, tell a little bit about the art that was made, what the intention was, the goal. IMO it is so, hmm how do you say, undefined without it's context it was made in.

Kwakkie, oi I hadn't tried in chrome and safari yet, hmmm must fix! I did sharpen yes, but also blur, so I guess it's allright! Yeah some more people pointed out the hammer nail thing, the straps are tight enough though, and else it's nail-frenzy haha.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I really like the general setup. Here are my crits:

-The font appears way too big. I have a 24in monitor so its alright, on a small one you will have to scroll way too much.
    -There is a lot of wasted space in your presentation images, particularly the hammer. I think the more you can crop the images the better. It will make the images load faster, and easier to see.

That's pretty much the only issues I see. I don't think you setup the links yet, as I cannot click on any of them. Nice work man!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    simple: it really worked without any issues right away for me - thats a very good sign. There is nothing one can do wrong with the navigation - just simple scrolling of the goods.

You TF2 low poly stuff is golden (I so do like it). The hammer has nice colors and a good texture job. The last piece is the weakest and does not strike at all :(

oh and this is how it looks in chrome using 1280*1024 and a vertical start menu cuz I have multi monitors
    fixjorishoogeboom.jpg
    some things get interrupted and some graphics look odd when not active (maybe go for more colors in those GIF images)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    None of your text is working like it should be for me, and I will not waste time to upgrade my java script to view the lettering. Best go with simple then try something complicated and it look bad.

Other then that though, I like your art work! Why show two texture shots of that hammer thing? For some reason, the last screen shots are confusing me. Not sure if its a prop, level or environment.

Nice stuff mate.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Thanks for all your feedback! Been working on some updates and I got rid of a lot of issues :)

The text links at the top just didn't work with that javascript without getting all messy, so those are images now, allways works. Plenty of code changes under the hood to fix alot of small stuff, funny how that creeps up so fast.

Architecture is clickable now, it hasn't got everything in yet, but working on it.