Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Dentist Chair - Operation Chair

So the story with this is a doctor of some kind of futuristic fashion(Cyborgs) has adopted this old vintage dentist chair and made it into his operation chair. His work space is an old grunged up apartment similar to how dirty the apartment was from Minority Report where what's-his-face got his eyes replaced..

biggest critique thus far is that I'm having some issues making the "tight leather" look more like leather, I'm not sure if it's the texture or the just the "squarish" model that isn't doing it for me, but i guess i'm not getting the illusion that it's made out of leather.. well, open for critiques! thanks guys, appreciate it!

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Fraya713, I like the concept here. As you said the leather just doesn't look like leather. I think they sort of look like dirty foam sofa cushions atm. You should gather some reference images of leather chairs. Here's one (poor quality sorry...)

leather_sofa.jpg

Leather cushions for a chair like that should have some shine on them, this needs to be defined in your specular map. You should also sculpt some small wrinkles along the edges of those cushions on your highpoly model and bake them into your normal map. That should help.

You should also bake or paint some ambient occlusion from the straps onto the cushions, that should help the harsh transition between those two elements.

The metal bits could really use some more worn edges to help define them in the spec map as well. Check out this tutorial.

http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtReference_SpecularMaps

It's a good start just keep cranking away on it :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hmm yeah looks good, but it would be a good idea to separate the materials quite a bit more. it's a tad hard to read as it is. IMO, go back and remove all your noise, and play with the large shapes until they read very clearly, and then start adding back in some texture to the extent that you need it.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to play with your values and separate out the shapes a lot more.. like the bed could be brighter than the metal, substantively. Unfortunately right now everything is blending together.
  • Fraya713
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the tips guys! i really appreciate it, this is some great feedback and i'll take all of this into consideration! I'll get to work on this asap and post back once i see some improvement

thanks again :)