Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ChrisPerr's Warhammer Scene

Replies

• InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Bad idea to use that watermark on your texture. Try something more sudtle, which actually let's you see the textures. Also, this doesn't really look like a warhammer scene (haven't played the mmo, so I might be wrong), but more like a generic medieval scene.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with what InProgress has said. I too haven't played any of the warhammer games but judging by the frequent critiques of similar stuff here on polycount I'd say you need to go back and stylize this model a bit more if you want it be more inline with the warhammer universe.

I think it looks pretty good as a general medieval scene though.

Right now it looks like a completely unique unwrap which is fine for lightmap UVs or AO. You should copy those UVs and move them to channel 2, then make a new channel 1 UV set (or edit the old one) so that you can mirror and stack your UVs a lot more for your diffuse/spec/normal maps. Your UVs in general look like there is a lot of wasted space. Try to imagine you need to get maybe around 3 pixels per centemeter on that building and you only had a 1024 x 1024 to do it.

How come all your board UV faces are completely separate? I'd sew those together so you don't end up with so much dead texture space. A non square texture might be usefull for the boards as well. Even better if you could reuse the building's texture to texture those boards.

The stones on the bottom left seem to be a pretty large scale, if you've got reference for buildings made with stones that large or if it's a warhammer thing then cool... but you might want to scale them down a bit anyway.

Your building looks pretty cool and has potential to be a great portfolio piece, keep at it :)

Check out this thread:

Environment Modeling FAQ & Resources

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53002

The first post there has an excellent example of UV layout/texture use for a building made by Stefan Morrell.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the watermark does not make a good impression, better ditch that habit- its not anyone can use or specific hidden UV texture.
    In the past people tended to create square textures for typical level editors and primitive engines - of which others could often benefit (like early Unreal, HL, DN,...). But as soon as you unwrap a somewhat complex shape and also just post a miniature version of it its really ridiculous to post a water mark on it.

crits:
    - way to much contrast in the last 2 perspective shots (you loose all the soft and important transitions in between those hard colors).
    - different geometry objects don't connect well with the textures - no dirt map nor do the colors of each object blend well (like they are not taken from the same time, or have different gamma values). But maybe I say this because some elements don't have textures yet as it seems - might be the reason.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to scale your UV's for better pixel resolution ... i myself had that same problem. other than that i like this piece.. good luck..