Home General Discussion

Anyone tried these CGSociety Workshops?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I'm in a bit of an unemployed doldrums and find myself frittering away a lot of time without really achieving a great deal. I've been thinking about taking some sort of class as a bit of a motivator and this ZBrush character workshop sounds like it might be worthwhile.
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/courses/000105/
Has anyone tried these in the past? Are they worth the money?

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    what do you think you'd get from these you couldn't get from like a gnomon video?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Dekard wrote: »
    what do you think you'd get from these you couldn't get from like a gnomon video?

I'm guessing 1 on 1 time with an instructor to help you out with sticking points in your workflow.
    Guessing more critiques (not simply posting online, and hoping people will crit you).

Someone to maybe identify what your weaknesses are, so you can work towards addressing them.

:)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone to tell me I'm a good boy?

I'm not sure. I think the structured learning would be beneficial to me. If I've paid for the course and have someone waiting for my assignment, I'm far less likely to get distracted by shiny things. Also having someone to tell me what I should do when I get stuck and can't find a relevant solution anywhere on the net would be handy.

It's hard to know, really.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Jackblade,

I took this class last summer and it was really good. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking to get up to speed on digital sculpting/character creation etc. I also was not working at the time, so I could dedicate a lot of time to it, and I got a lot out of it. Here's a few things that I thought made it worth it.....

- Mentoring from a seasoned industry professional in a fairly high demand skill set. Cesar also shared some of his experiences in the biz as well as answering general industry questions.

- Cesar is an excellent teacher. Not only did he cover the topics of ZBrushing and character work, but he covered more general and helpful subjects, like art and design, anatomy, personal and industry successs strategies etc.

- He provided a fair amount of links and additional info to resources to supplement the coursework.

- You have a group of peers to learn from and share with as well. Seeing other peoples mistakes, and getting critiques and sharing info with classmates is also very helpful.

- There will most likely be industry professionals in the class. You might find your next job, or maybe make a few new friends or connections.

- You'll have spent $600 on a class and will have poeple looking over your shoulder at what your doing, which should help with the motivation factor.

In my humble opinion, the class is definitely worth the time and money, as long as you put in the time and do the work.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds look a good enough reccomendation for me. Now I just need to scrounge up the dough.

Thanks guys.