Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Corridor

Inspired by dead space concept art. I am working on this environment and I am going for a lot cleaner look so no bloody gritty textures. Here is a quick shot of just 2 pieces put together in ue3.
dswip1.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it :) Sorry I've got nothing constructive to add right now, just keep on building/adding more stuff to the scene.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I can't believe its been a year that I started this thread. Anyways hoping to complete this environment. Though my progress will be slow since I have been doing some freelance work with a developer(hopefully not as slow as this was).

I am trying to get some high polys going. here is some of my progress. The blue cubes are only for blocking out.

DSwip02.jpg

DSwip03.jpg

DSwip04.jpg
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny update, made quick door/gate.
    DSwip05.jpg
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some texturing done and here is how it looks still need to add ceiling and some props to fill it up. Lighting is temporary.

Dwip1.jpg

Dwip2.jpg
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you said you are going for a clean look, I think you should still add some wear to the floor so it looks like people walk on it, its too perfectly new right now, and it doesn't really look like metal now, hard to read the material right now...
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I completely agree with you. Personally I am feeling that the whole clean look is very uninteresting so I am changing it to a bit dirtier version. I adjusted all the textures and spec maps and here is the result.

Dwip3.jpg

Dwip4.jpg

Dwip5.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good! One thing that's bugging me is the font. Try to get it to fit in with the texture some more, like making it have some spec similar to the wall. You should also add some acsent on the edges as of some pieces as well.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    Looking good! One thing that's bugging me is the font. Try to get it to fit in with the texture some more, like making it have some spec similar to the wall. You should also add some acsent on the edges as of some pieces as well.

Some colour variation would be nice too, at the moment it's all pretty much greys. There's nothing that draws your interest to the scene.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Here is an update with some color testing. I think I will redo door as it seems off in scale. The ceiling is going to have a lot more detail but for now just a plane. :)
    Dwip6.jpg

Dwip7.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you for not making the walls octagons.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Slum wrote: »
    Thank you for not making the walls octagons.

My sentiments exactly.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I like this, lighting is cool too! Any plans for a focal point?
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yeah no octagons :)

Here is an update. I will be adding some more details on the ceiling and then going to add a couple of props in the scene.

Dwip9.jpg
    Dwip10.jpg
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is some damn good texturing my man!
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am thinking about adding something big outside the window(moon or earth). But any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. There is going to be generators in the corners and then a main computer or something like right in front of the middle window as a focal point.

Dwip11.jpg

Dwip12.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome, this is coming along nicely. I'm getting a Dead Space vibe from this scene, which is not a bad thing as that was/is an awesome game.

looking forward to more. :)
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A slow update.. Will be adding a main computer panel right in front of the middle window and satellite( or something like that floating) as a background element.

Dwip13.jpg

Dwip14.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Good to see this still coming along especially excited because I'm playing Dead Space 2 right now(I keep saying this lol) so feeling the vibe. What are your plans for adding more objects to the floor space? The main tiled walkway needs some, maybe even a texture break. Perhaps with a darker more contrasting light setup it will take a new direction as well. Looking great though.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out a little different lighting...thoughts?

Dwip15.jpg

Dwip16.jpg
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Hey salman_fas, I've made a paintover of your scene:

SciFi_Corridor_Paintover.jpg

Here's what I did:
    • I've cropped your image to center it more towards what I think could be an interesting point of interest.
      Obviously something should be there (a small command center with computers and chairs, for example).
    • Sunlight in space has nothing to diffuse it out, like clouds or stuff like that, so I made the Sun the dominant light source
      to create interesting shadows and to have an obvious, immediately clear point of interest.
      I shut down or significantly reduced all other lights.
    • To thicken the atmosphere, I pulled the scene towards a deep blue tint.
    • For more depth and also for more ambiance, more distance fog.
    • I've made the moon much bigger to make the viewer feel small.

Hopefully, it'll help you out.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Urbanmelon: Love that paintover, hope it gets taken into account on the next update :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Playing Dead Space 2, they really bump it up using colors in their lights. I like the paintover, I should do one to explain myself haha good job tho, it's coming along very well .
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Love the paintover!, makes it look very dramatic.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Heya! so looking at the paintover i decided to do one as well. I think there are plenty of creepy blue tinted scenarios in sci fi, i think that is why i appreciate dead space 2 and mass effect 2 use of color to accentuate things... dead space 2 specially really has flickering lights and fogs in that color that really make everything look more chaotic. I really like that effect. Reminds me of the 1st alien when all you see is fog and those warning lights spinning around.

Anyway, so i took the color idea and expanded on it and went the opposite from the blue tint. I have a warmer palette.

Ok, so I made shadows more prominent, there are certain lights that will make more ambience, and i filled the light source from 2 different directions, it really does make it more chaotic and tense. anyways, just an approach. Keep up the good work man!
    Dwip16Paintover.JPG
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking good

one thing WRONG ;-)

extremely little atmospheric diffusion of light in space....make that window light (sun) as sharpe as your maps will let you...
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great! Specular values feel very monotonous, would be nice to see more break in materials. I'm all about Urbanmelons paintover, its a tight composition.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I have to say, I like the paint over glottis8 did. I like the warm tones. It gives the space a feeling being in a foreign, dangerous place, as if you're on a ship that is on a runaway collision with a star. So the danger isn't just in the potentially deadly occupants, but just being on the ship when it hits the star could end you.
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna have to go with urbanmelon on this one, the atmosphere on his one is just a bit more chilling and leaves you feeling alone and somehow vulnerable in space.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and paintovers.

They were both pretty good but for now I am going for urbanmelon's paintover. Here is what I got by messing around with lighting. Will be adding the main computer terminal next :)

Dwip17.jpg
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Urbanmelon wrote: »
    Hey salman_fas, I've made a paintover of your scene:

SciFi_Corridor_Paintover.jpg

Here's what I did:
    • I've cropped your image to center it more towards what I think could be an interesting point of interest.
      Obviously something should be there (a small command center with computers and chairs, for example).
    • Sunlight in space has nothing to diffuse it out, like clouds or stuff like that, so I made the Sun the dominant light source
      to create interesting shadows and to have an obvious, immediately clear point of interest.
      I shut down or significantly reduced all other lights.
    • To thicken the atmosphere, I pulled the scene towards a deep blue tint.
    • For more depth and also for more ambiance, more distance fog.
    • I've made the moon much bigger to make the viewer feel small.

Hopefully, it'll help you out.

amazing
  • salman_fas
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Tone down the dust particles in the shadowed areas, they start to look like snow fall.

On the right track here, I like it :)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    not sure I understand the white fleks in the scene... is this dust? If so, shouldn't it be concentrated around the lit areas... also would be interesting to mess with the post effects and get more bloom coming off the lit areas... I think the moon also takes up too much of the window and doesn't have enough contrast in it...

Looks great so far, keep it up...

I think both paint overs are great, but i would have gone with the one with more color myself.

Keep it up!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erm.... two really nice paintovers, nice work all round! The colour one is more interesting but the other one, is so moody, I would also go with the one you chose.

My suggestions are change the angle of light to illuminate more of the scene? Break that big floor texture with a tileable one that is more corridor esque and runs through the scene... it could have emergency cat lights and wires and other... which I think always works in sci-fi corridors as a visual gimic. It also breaks the scene into the corridor and a kinda side area with window... but is the same interior space.

Also, seems pretty vacant so far? Needs more props... I am always looking for cover, just incase aliens come (you know how space gets!), you could drop in a few more props that satisfy my needs to survive your scene...

Good work so far! Keep at it. :thumbup:
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey particles are the new lens flare.

I meant to remove those but got in a hurry to post it. The dominant light starts to get a little weird looking when I try to match the angle due to the normal map on the floor. That's why I had to change the angle a little bit.

The bloom doesn't doesn't show up on my machine(ancient graphic card).

Thanks for the feedback I will make some tweaks.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    WillMac wrote: »
    Also, seems pretty vacant so far? Needs more props... I am always looking for cover, just incase aliens come (you know how space gets!), you could drop in a few more props that satisfy my needs to survive your scene...

Too right. You can't have enough waist high walls and debris! :poly142:
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fake lighting shafts...Crates will be coming next.

DEnv1.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't forget the barrels.

looks good duder, maybe break up the repetition of the floor with an access hatchy door thing? or maybe a bs random metal panel something?

looking good, would be interesting to see some color though. If space is this desaturated I'll stay home, thank yoU :)... looking really solid though.

Cheers
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p.s. i like the second shot you have of this on your portfolio mucho bettero... good job again
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Your lighting looks a little confusing. You have the moon which is your key light situated in the rear of your composition, yet the light areas and shadows suggest that the light is from a source parallel to the windows. The sun and moon cast very parallel lighting/shadows because of there distance away. Also if your gonna stick with the light shafts then at least point them in the right direction as well. Right now you have them parallel to the window again, instead the should be parallel to your key light and these are a directional effect.

Also on the left side of your composition, i feel this area is too well lit. Theres nowhere near as much ambient light in space as we see here on earth. The sky creates most of the fill light and without it, bounced light wouldn't be as prominent. Like suggested above, space is a vacuum, light can travel freely without any diffusion and this results in harsh lighting with very crisp, dark and pronounced shadows. So id suggest adding in some subtle lights on the left side as to give light to this area and not to distract away from the main focal point of the composition.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is final update. I am gonna call it done for now(maybe some tweaks will be done but nothing major).

I am getting ready to move on to something new :)

Dwip20.jpg

Dwip21.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Looks amazing! wish there was more "volume" in the air. something like fog. i dunno.

also, for your final render pass, take a high res screenshot ingame by typing in "tiledshot 6" in the console command. Then resize it. It'll get rid of all ur antialiasing issues.
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks wicked :). How many tris is the final scene?
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great. The red lines seem a bit too powerful. Maybe desaturate a bit?
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how to check Tri count in UDK, it used to stat the polycount in UE3 but in UDK its changed so I cant find it.

EDIT: The scene is about 56k Tris.

HighPolys.

DEnvHP.jpg

DEnvHP2.jpg