Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Watertower

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Diwan polycounter lvl 13
Hey PC's! I'm working on a water tower for a school project. I'd like to get some critiques from you guys see if I'm headed in right direction. I got 50% of the diffuse done...I think. It's a 2k tri limit, and this one is sitting at 1981 tris.

Hipoly
wip01-1.jpg

wip05-1.jpg

wip04-2.jpg

Thanks for watching, and happy memorial day!

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    why using alpha planes for the diagonal connectors? - its not like they would take that many triangles- instead you waste a lot texture and alpha space.
    The very top element has quite a lot faces for such a small scale you could probably reduce it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    heh HJS, when i read your comment i was 'wtf? theres over a hundred of those tiny things' before i noticed the big crosses

Diwan: i think there are some areas that can easily be optimized a bit.
    first off you have (or appear to have) a redundant loop in the circles at the base, and you could take out 1~2 loops from the roof without any visual difference
    secondly i think you could very well replace the half sphere with a geosphere - those are a lot
    more efficient.
    then you could use those extra polies to put a rim around the roof and make the walkway a bit rounder.. and add the crossbars HJS mentioned

texturewise you need to watch a few things:
    right now the rust makes a fair amount of sense, but the metal doesnt. you can see the texture continuing on the loose plates which looks odd.
    the entire thing could use a lot more color variation. there's more then 1 metal color you know =P
    and don't forget to add more soot and moss etc.. you could even add some alpha planes or something if you really want to weather it down
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not sure if this has been covered in your crits or not. But the biggest problem for me is the metal texture. It looks like you just overlayed the same metal texture for the entire body of the water tower. You need to make it look like some of the plates are made up of other pieces of metal. instead of making it look like all of the pieces of metal, are made from one piece.

like the plates. They need more color variation, maybe even a completely different metal texture applied to them. And the grunge would react to them differently. The roof looks ok, but the body just looks half done.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with Don. Just making those extra planks of metal a completely different texture would help a lot.

As for the modeling.... seems like you could cut a few polys out of the rounded bottom of the water tank. Could get same result with a few less loops and some smooth norms.

With the polys you would save from doing this you could... imo if you bent one of those panels back and had some water busting out would be dope. Would really bring this thing to life. If not that then I would recommend maybe puting up some logo or text on it. Usually it is the name of a town or a sports team or something. Like this maybe....

MOranTxWaterTowerTinMan0207BG.jpg

Otherwise I like this better than the parking meter. Keep up the good work man.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Right now the plates just seem haphazardly slapped onto the side just to have plates there. I have done this all too often myself before I started to think about how the plates would be actually be used on this water tower.

Take a look at some more reference to see how plating is actually used on water towers and other objects.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    About the plates that Anthony was talking about.

You can have plates haphazardly slapped on to thingsl ike this, but the way you've done it looks like it is made solely out of haphazardly placed plates.

think of it like this: This water tower's main hull is constructed of several large plates and the "haphazardly placed" ones are there to repair the main hull's structure, say where there was a leak, or a puncture. So slapping plates on things haphazardly isn't bad, but use them more sparingly so that it appears that at one time this thing was engineered as a single working object and has been jimmy-rig repaired over time.

on the texture. the plates that you've put on these guys have the exact same texture running over them as the parts they are covering. mask out these areas where the plates are and make them of different materials, colors, and have different types of streaking going down them so they will read as different plates instead of looking like a slapped on texture with an attempt at breaking it up with a normal map.

The texture is very flat at this point. Try overlaying some graidents on top of the phototexture, or doing a clouds layer over it and using it as a mask on an adjustment layer to gradiate different colors through the boring grey/white of the photo.

All parts of the texture at this point seem to be the exact same photo. Break up the different sections of the texture and give them different levels of value to differentiate between certain areas. As of now they all blend in together as one.

Saturate some areas, desat other areas. Don't be afraid to use colors on metals, it'll make them more interesting. Also with your rust and grunge. Rust doesn't have to be one color of orangey red, it can b e all sorts of different colors, even on the same material so b reak up your grunge by changing some sections. This can be done with levels or even just hue/sat adjustments pretty easily.

Here's a paintover that illustrates my ideas.

I dont know how far along your are on this wip. Most of my suggestions are probably things you already planned on doing anyway but I figured it type it out anyway.

Sorry for the sloppy ass paintover but you get the idea

PS - make an awesome SPEC MAP!

wip0x-1-2.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you've taken liberties with the plating, you should take some liberties with the supports and save yourself some texture space by taking out the zig/zag. Also no railing or ladder?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    my cents:
    make it more interesting by paintings, a real lighting setup (now its just a view port modeling grab - not fancy at all)
    watertower_paintover.jpg
    also regarding the plates - I think like now they are to smal and rather look like star wars the death star
    DeathStarSurface.jpg
    to rectangular and smal
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like render's better than mine.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Woaaah, first off thanks all you guys who been critiquing. Really appreciated that you have taken your time to post comments!

I was aware of the dullness of the color, wasn't even close to be done, however all you guys have valid points and I've taken bits of everyone's comments and put them together. Still not finished, mostly focusing on the diffuse on the bigger parts at the moment. I threw on a quick spec to see what kind of effect I would get out of it, nothing fancy at all. I also changed the support beams to geometry instead of alpha planes. I'll be doing the railing and other misc props on the side to populate it more.

wip06.jpg

Does it make sense that some new waterflow from the top have run down and given some specularity?

Thanks again
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good update Diwan, I reckon you take a close look at Render's paintover and consider having this entire thing have been painted at one time. An easy way to get a cool painted effect is at this tutorial.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373024

specifically the "all layers" checkbox on the paintbucket tool is what will give you a great effect if you play with it the right way.

More color! More character! Keep going sir
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Adam, yeah def. gonna do a more painted version next. For now I think I'm sorta done with this texture. Came out alright I guess...the stands are not that impressive I guess. But I gotta move on. 1 more to go!

wip07-1.jpg
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    looks a lot better, i think your problem now is that it has too much contrast. Looks like the rust is practically glowing.

Also, I really think you should add some thickness to the basepads and the roofing. they look realllly thin
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the above comments, it does look much better now :)
  • Steveo53
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks much more interesting now, loving the progress!
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Love the newer version, agreed with natetheartist
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey thanks guys! Here are the final renders. I'm gonna try to get some engine shots later.

watertower1_02.jpg

watertower2_01.jpg

watertower2_02.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    I like the addition of the railing. Good choice. I still think a ladder would have made a good addition as well but now that the project is over you don't have to worry about any limits and you'll be able to beast this piece up a bit.

The first one without the red roof is a better one imo. I like that you did change it up and really made the other one different. The worn paint look turned out pretty cool. Maybe something other than red, i don't know. Maybe blue or green. Just a thought. I like the addition of the text on the sides as well.

Good work on this project man. Came a long way. Keep up the good work. You decide what your doing for project 4 yet?