Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A rock! UE3

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Alright not only is this first model in 7 months(gd outsourcing job) but its my first ever rock!

Rendered in UE3, looking for feedback.

New
rock01.jpg
Old
rock01.jpg

-Buddikaman

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Not bad for a first attempt but here are some things I notice you can improve on.
    -The texture appears to be very pixelated. Almost like you used crazybump for those little cracks and stuff and that was it.
    -The cracks look weird atm. Almost as if they were hand carved. Do you have references?
    -The color scheme looks pretty good, but unless this is a rock formation by water, it is far too smooth looking.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but it could use some work still.
    Have a look at this thread, it has a ton of good information and links on making rocks.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=50160
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for feedback dude, that helps me alot
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I'm a bit confused by the whole thing. Were is it located to get those type of cracks and weathering? You have some very sharp points to near the top and bottom too. How did you make the normal map for this thing?
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate the crits.

No this was sculpted in zbrush using alphas for cracks and detail and i did not use refrence as this was more a experiment. The lowpoly was created using polygon cruncher(first time using it) and the renders are from xnormal(cant explain the stretching, xnormal is hit or miss) . I ran over it with a sharpen filter in photoshop which is what was causing that pixelation. Fixed that.

-Redid texture. Added moss. More color variation. Still not 100% happy with it. Will work on fixing stretching.
    -Added a noise bumpmap overlay ontop of texture(so not so smooth)
    -Reworked lowpoly geometry to compensate for sharp edges.

Newest renders on above post if you want to check it out. Thanks!

-Buddikaman
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    looks blobby which is not realistic, maybe use some knife tool in your sculpt tool to get more edgy shapes into your object.