Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

portfolio update - Ruz

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I dood a little update to my folio. The images are a bit nicer I feel but still need to do some more work on it

http://www.mikerusby.com/

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    That has a much better design and layout. Great content too, as usual =)

It's kind of weird that it ends, but scrolls on a tiled background image for a while.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz, I said it once (many times) and i'll say it again, you're texturing is fricken amazing!

And yes, I think this design is much more straight forward and to the point. Rock on good sir!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thanks Jason, Vig.

I think its just a case of re rendering some of my existing assets. The work itself is ok, but its easy to screw it up with poor presenation.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    I love your stuff because everything is polished to the very end. Getting tired of seeing people just making highpoly models and not bothering about texturing and rigging and all those other delicious things.
    Nice to see a true professional.

Some small crits from me:
    The Zbrush male is not as interesting after seeing all your fully textured models. He's not showcasing anything notable.

Of your pre-2003 stuff I would only keep the two female figures, though i see the red one is Bobo's model, so i don't know if there's a better way to showcase the texture work. The legos are cute, but out of context like this, they're nothing special.

I would put your latest head model towards the end since in my opinion your full body models are way, way more interesting.

Your texture work is freaking stellar! But my humble recommendation would be to tone down the gloss/specular focus. Especially on the first image with the skullshirt guy, the clothing looks kinda plasticy and there's no clear differentiation between the different types of fabric. Maybe also add a bit of dirt to the textures overall. Everything has a little dust on it.

I can't wait to see more stuff from you.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The general layout is decently clean. You kept it simple, and that will probably work well for what you are using it for. I also noticed the error at the bottom of the page. There seems to be something wrong with the counter you are trying to use down there. I'd check on that.

My only criticism regarding your content is that you could probably do something with some of your renders to make them a bit more visually interesting. I'm thinking a touch of post-production work to add a few labels, maybe better optimize the space on some of those images. And possibly something more visually engaging than a flat grey background.

Your 3D work itself is solid, and shows consistent improvement. Kudos!
  • [iWi]
    Solid work - nice rendering, Mike.
    Great likeness at Sean Bean.:poly142:
    Older work 2003 I'd put to other page (for ex. bonus page).:poly136:
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Thanks for the feedback . comments guys
    artsy farsty, it didn't occur to me that the zbrush stuff was a bit naff:)
    I suppose I only see sculpting as a means to and end ie making the low poly look nice.
    I might try and take the zbrush stuff as a separate task and make them look pretty.
    yeah the spec needs a lot of work on the gangster, I am not really keen on the character now anyway, but yeah I will take a look at it

hmm I like the pre 2003 stuff, not sure if I will get rid of it... though i suppose it make sense really

Rchard - my graphic design skills are laughable. I am bit worried if I try and add to many labels I will ruin it
    But I will keep on slowly trying to improve the overall site
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i would do to your portfolio what i really need to do to mine which is to cut out the old stuff, thats there more for nostalgia, and probably dont give a prospective employer a good idea of where you are currently.

on a side note could do with fixing the un-nessecary seam/mirror on the back of the old guys head

nice design etc
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    It looks great on first load... as I scroll down though I see a couple missing images. The spacing varies between images and titles a lot. Be consistent. The same can be said for the renderings. If you find the time to go back and re-layout all these your site will benefit greatly. Use the same text on each image.

A few of your renders look down on characters which is generally not a good thing to do. It feels awkward.

Your new work is really strong. Make sure you don't disable yourself with poor presentation.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work Ruz, the site looks good nice and simple. And as I have said before your work is a great source of inspiration so its always nice seeing updates. Few things though. Idk if its just me but the second image on the page and then the second image of the dude with the press vest on are showing up as broken links. And in my opinion the lego models don't do anything for your folio. Keep up the great work man :thumbup:.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Great advice guys. thanks for that.
    Decided to prune the crappy stuff ie lego characters etc.
    I will work on a more consistent labelling system tomorrow

re the missing links, I have been uploading re uploading , deleting all day, brain hurts