Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rail Turret 400000000

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kimono polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, been working on the textures for this rail turret thingy majigga and everything's going fine 'cept when I enable hardware shading in the viewport (to enable shadows) the S.I. map stops working with Xoliul's shader, was wondering whether anyone had come across this before and whether there was a way around it (If this sounds ridiculous it's because of my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to coding). The textures are a work in progress so any criticism is greatly appreciated.

wip1u.jpg

wip2.jpg

flats.jpg

e: I'm using 3DSM 2010 32 bit btw (Could possibly be the reason behind it)

Replies

• Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neat, very Metal Gear 4 in its super clean surfaces and colour choices.

One thing you might want to look at is making those small writings into alpha planes on a separate texture, so you can shrink the overall object's texture. Seems like the only reason that map can't shrink is those little text areas.

Just one crit, thats a lot of 0000's! :P
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Kimono, You're in luck I check your thread ;) I don't usually check the pimping forums (too much characters for my tastes), so you should post problems in my thread, I check it daily.
    First off your thing looks awesome, great mechanical normalmaps, I by far haven't mastered them on such a level as you display here.

Now your problem: "hardware shading" ? That sounds like a maya term ... ? What exactly do you enable ? I haven't tested thoroughly in 2010 though, and must admit the SI map isn't the most tested feature, though it showed no problems in 2009 with shadows. I will get working on releasing a new version soon (hopefully tomorrow), seems like an update is way due, since more problems are popping up.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I would tone down that AO map, as the darks are vary dark on the model.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Kimono, just tested your issue: all works fine here. I tried pretty much everything, and I see they also added this "hardware shading" thing to 2010.
    Here is SI, working in 2010 with shadows (hard, soft i can't get working yet) and everything on: http://i39.tinypic.com/avinv9.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I love the clean textures! :) Very good work!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Super cool, it's clean and sharp.
    I can't say I'm a huge fan of the design itself, it's a tad blocky and the guns could stand to be bigger/more protruding to really sell it as a turret, but nice work either way!
    I'm a fan of your textures.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you two, it's really appreciated :)

MoP it was actually based upon a concept drawn up by the artist "Kazzantip". I must admit however that I toyed with the idea of tweaking the design while modelling it but decided to stay pretty faithful to the concept:

imagepqn.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I see - the concept is fairly good, although I still don't like the design all that much.
    I'd say that it looks like the gun barrels seem to protrude more from the casing in the concept than they do in your model. I think that would sell it a bit more as a turret rather than a box on rails.
    Also, shouldn't the glows be red instead of white? ;o

Either way, it still looks cool.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, my cripple eyes cannot see red and green so in my haste I forgot to eyedrop the lights, I believe another thank you is in order :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    i dont understand why in the texture you have 2 unique places for the yellow insides of the shield, but have only 1 for the outsides of the shield panels.. wouldnt it make more sense to have the outsides unique then the (somewhat obscured) insides?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    I would tone down that AO map, as the darks are vary dark on the model.

The darkest darks in the AO there are totally occluded, areas where objects are intersecting and would never receive light. So, no the ao isnt too dark. Its just about right. =) You can tell by looking at the assets instead of the map, there arent any pure black areas in the final result.