Home Technical Talk

Some Maya Questions

easterislandnick
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
Hi, Im coming back to Maya after 5 years of Max and I have a few questions if any one has the time...

1. When creating new uvs for a model they are created in a new uv slot, not over the existing uvs and so don't show in the viewport. I have to copy the uvs and paste them over the correct slot in the UV editor. Does that make sense? Is there a way of only using one uv channel and applying all uvs to that?

2. Is there a comparable option to backface selected where only visible polys in a viewport can be selected?

3. Is there a comparable function to the relax modifier in max where it loosens up geometry?

4. Does maya have smoothing groups?

Thanks in advance, let me know if you need any more info!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    1. Yeah, check the options box for whatever mapping you're using ( I assume you're referring to planar / box / automatic mapping of some sort - in the options it should have a setting for "create new UV set", turn that off to make it use the existing UV set).

2. Yep, check the Preferences, it's in there somewhere. Probably in Modeling preferences.

3. Yes, it's called "Average" or something, should be in the Mesh menu.

4. No, it's got something way better - soft/hard edges. Select all edges and go to the Normals menu, select "Soften Edges", that has the same effect as assigning your whole object to smoothing group 1. Then you can select specific edges and do "Harden Edges" from the same Normals menu, it will have the same result as putting two smoothing groups next to each other. This, in my experience, is way faster and more efficient than using Smoothing Groups.

Note that for answers 3. and 4. you will need to be using the "Modeling" (or is it "Polygons"? I forget) menu set, as chosen in the drop-down menu in the top left. This will set all the menu items to the correct sets for modelling, but I assume you already have that set up.

All of this is just from memory so I might have got the names slightly wrong.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    1- never experienced this are you sure you havent got something like "create uvs in new set" tagged

2- yes look in display-polygons-custom poly display, lots of powerfull stuff in there too.

3- you can relax, or smooth using the sculpting tools, which if you want to do it across the whole model select what you want smoothing then use the flood option

4- no it has a far better soloution soft and hard edges. best way i do it is give the whole model 180 degree smoothing, then select all the edges that you want to be hard and give them 0 degree smoothing, i have a whole shelf dedicvated to smoothing and normals with 0, 30, 45, 60, 85, 180 degree buttons, very quick. (85 degrees for checking low poly meshes for normal baking)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, that's what i call solid answering quality! nice one SHEPEIRO :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    haha- interesting similarities and differences MoP
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    2. easier way in maya 2008/2009 is hold q+LMB -> camera based selection.

3. If all you need is to smooth and not maintaining the form, the 'average' will do the job, but if you want to maintain the surface complexity, check out this mel by the guy from image metrics, very robust!

http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/modeling/poly_tools/oaRelaxVerts-4499.html
    oaRelaxVerts.gif
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks every one that's ace. Concise, quick and to the point as usual. I love polycount!