Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D minotaur model

Hey Guys,
I made this Low Poly model of a Minotaur and I wanted to post it up. I'd gladly appreciate suggestions if you have them. Thanks guys!

mino01.jpg
mino02.jpg
mino03.jpg
mino04.jpg
minoz01.jpg
minoz02.jpg

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    how naturally you did his lowest back~last screen)
    good textures
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid start, i'd make his torso and midsection a bit thicker, the arms have good proportion and mass but look a bit big for his torso at the moment.

The neck is good and tapers well into his back but just give his jaw a bit more mass and make him look like he could take a swing from a sledgehammer, also i'd thicken his horns a bit especially towards the base. Great model overall well done.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    The model looks great, digging those proportions :)

Heres my 2 cents:-
    -) Those abs are really unnatural :P
    -) You could have done so much more with youre speculars. I see some issues with distinguishing different materials.
    I do think you could have handled the triangulisation on the top of the forearm (the brachioradialis) better.its getting 7 edges from all different sides.Ive personally found it better if you have more than 4 edges converging at a single vertex. Id say 5 tops.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin cool!

Crits:
    He's a little wispy.
    Arms seem a bit long and thin.
    The hooves seem more like camel feet (squishy pads) than cow hooves.
    The leg warmers are kind of thick just before the hoof.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agree with the comments already, expand the width of the chest, and bulk up the thighs. Arms are bit long, and might be just me but more emphasis on the shoulder blades would bring out the bull in this minotaur. Great look its got going
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Conte_Thank You!

@Sicsided, Vig, and Scourgewarper_Thank you guys! I'll totally re-establish his sizes and proportions. I'll tank him up so he can look like he could take a sledgehammer or two.

@butt_Sahib_Thank you. I appreciate your two cents. I'll pay more attention to detail and rework the spec map to bring out some hair strands, leather, and bone.

@ all_ I'll pick this character up again in a week or two because I'm trying to finish up a city that I've been working on for the past few months. It looks like a week or two more till I can give it a green light but before I do that, I'll make sure that I post so I can get some fresh eyes on it. =) I appreciate all suggestions and I will gladly follow your critiques. But if anyone else has a suggestion or two, feel free to make them. I'll post up changes to the minotaur again when I can. =D
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeh, I also forgot to say that I'll fix his forearms. =)
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, here is the minotaur with the corrections. =)

mino01.jpg
    mino02.jpg
    mino03c.jpg
    mino04b.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The fur could look more like fur in the normal map to me mate. Would push it more.
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    will do true, thanks, I'll try to make it stand out more.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Thats looking great! brilliant improvements :)

I agree the fur on the back need to stand out a little more somehow, and maybe sharpen up the skin diffuse in places. (cut on the arm).

good stuff!
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great improvment I really like the chain links they've an interesting shape over generic links and don't seem to be poly blackholes either, the mace looks solid and bulky which really suits this character well done :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I like the style and volume of the character, and it's with less than 6k tris. Maybe the colour could be a bit more gold/red-ish for the skin? It looks good as is though. BTW, what shader are you using?
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks guys!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Hey something you might want to look into... i know there is a way to get a material that acts like animal fur in unreal using paralax mapping. Maybe if you applied that shader to certain parts of your character it would look more interesting. It's a big undertaking but if you need any insight i'll help you out.