Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    AWESOME! wonder if they are hiring :P
  • Mark Dygert
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hmm...Maybe this will give some work to a lot of the people around here recently laid off :)

Glad to see them come
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Big Park was recently bought by Microsoft as well: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19572/Microsoft-to-Acquire-Big-Park/

and of course Action Pants was bought by Ubisoft.

Welcome to Vancouver.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Pixar shorts are about to get a whole lot shittier, yay?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    TWilson wrote: »
    Big Park was recently bought by Microsoft as well: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19572/Microsoft-to-Acquire-Big-Park/

and of course Action Pants was bought by Ubisoft.

Welcome to Vancouver.

as soon as I heard about BigPark getting acquired i fast forwarded my resume :P if anyone here works there hook a brother up.

@TWilson haven't seen any art from you in awhile what have you been up to?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    "Pixar shorts are about to get a whole lot shittier" hahahaha -nice.

ya the CBC release says that Vancouver created Pixar shorts are DVD and theme park release only, but it gives the employee a really good chance to learn the pixar toolset anyway.

Disney came here a long while ago to open up a studio of about 300, they told all the schools to reformat their cirriculum ect, then as fast as they setup they dismantled everything, never heard why... hope that doesnt repeat.

Big park looks cool, I really want to see some work from them....didnt know they were hiring again, about 8 months ago they were hiring like mad, right before the big econo-crash... from the look of their website's splash page from back then, the game is a hand painted texture style... with a cartoony smooth style. But that was only a splash page.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats the second time I've read that story about Disney telling schools to reformat their curriculum and the schools actually going a head and doing it but I don't recall that ever happening, do you know a school that actually went through with it if it did happen?

Maybe it'll spark something in my burnt out brain.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    You probably just busted me in spreading a rumor most likely propagated by burned ex-employees and the rejected talent pool here in Vancouver;

but I heard that Don Perro's course at Capilano College had retooled and created some conduit to the Disney studio that was to set-up here in Vancouver. Now that I think about it, I wonder if the Disney studio ever existed at all... it was a while ago if at all.

Really tho,if you are learning 2D animation, you should study Disney during some time period I guess...but it was chatter to me, I didnt experience or have first hand knowledge of any of it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sheridan College had its curricullum 'influenced' by Disney.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sheridan was never in Vancouver? And if we're talking about a 2d studio in North American, I would have hoped they would have been influenced by Disney stuff before one moved into town...

edit: anyway, just to clarify, I'm not calling anyone out on this, its just when this announcement was released it came up a couple of times; but for the two times I remember Disney starting up studios here I don't recall them ever influencing directly any schools. So was wondering what schools people are refering to and when this took place (maybe they came here before the two times I can remember?)

No one can really give an answer on this, which makes me a bit confused.