Home Technical Talk

Modeling and mapping a flag?

I'm trying to model a still flag on a vertical pole similar to picture below, but I'm having trouble with both modeling and uv mapping.

The modeling is problematic because the flag doesn't just fall and wrinkle, but kind of twists onto itself and around the pole. The mapping is difficult because of stretching and the twists.

The few tutorials I've found use physics based modifiers to animate it, but I only need a static model. Anyone have any good tips on how to go about this? Also, poly counts or complexity are not a concern.

203464837_1225e5c7a7.jpg?v=0

Thanks!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    if the polycount and complexity doesnt matter? that create a tesselated plane, apply the flag texture and use physics like in the tutorials and just grab the last frame of the simluation and collapse it? o.o
    or any other frame that looks better to you :)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    (I'm going to pretend you are using 3ds Max.)

Use Reactor and set up a scene with your flattened / tessellated / UVd flag mesh.

You can bind the edges you want to attach to the pole and set them not to move, and the rest of the object will just fall based on your world gravity and the weight you assign to the flag.

I'm not an expert on Reactor, and it isn't exactly the most user friendly of interfaces, but if you follow along in the help/tutorial stuff in Max it explains it further about how to set it up.

It's been awhile since I've used it, but once you play around with it it's not that hard.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, i was reluctant to get into physics because I thought it would be way over my head, but that was actually really, really easy.

Uber much obliged to you guys. It's why polycount is rated #1 in customer satisfaction!

flag_sample.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hey, don't let the flag touch the ground!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    haha yeah, that would definitely get you shot in some parts of the country.

Nice work on getting it figured out. I might soften the weight up just a little more so it falls a little lighter. Right now it reads a little closer to burlap or a heavier material.

Once you have the final frame of the reactor-ed mesh, you can always go in with a little FFD modifier action to clean it up just a bit and it shouldn't skew your UVs too bad.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    that looks like a pillow, did you model both sides? if so, redo the physics with a one sided model then extrude it after
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the golden advice polycounters.

After much testing this is the version I settled for.

flag_sample2.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17