Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bodycounter 3D Character

hi I'm new here and here is my character I created in Thomas Mahlers Character Creation Workshop.

I hope you like it.

criticism and questions are welcome :poly121:

here are some pics:

bcposeshot.jpg

bcwireframe.jpg

bchighpolyshot.jpg

Replies

• jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it!

The design is kind of generic but the technical side is well done!

The only thing would be the size of the legs, well everything below the waist actually. I would assume that is part of the design (kinda like Team fortress 2) with the wonky or cartoony look of the proportions..... but now im rambling...

Anyway, very nice work! keep it up!
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I love it aswell. If Crackdown and Team Fortress 2 were to have a illegitimate child, the characters running around inside it would look like this. :)
  • Piotr Szlaga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys!

yes you right the legs are part of the design. the subject-matter of the workshop was to create a TF2 styled character with a cartoony look. Anyway I kept the character a bit more realistic.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    The legs don't really add to a cartoony look, they just look wrong. If the rest was more stylized then you might get away with it but at them moment they are letting a well executed model down.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Tanka: "I love it aswell. If Crackdown and Team Fortress 2 were to have a illegitimate child, the characters running around inside it would look like this. :) "

Took the words right out of my god damned mouth! Exactly the two games this reminded me of.

I'm really not sure about the legs like easterislandnick said, I'd agree if the character was more stylized, then I'd say that they would be off; but as it is I think they are just fine. I actually think that they add some sort of stoutness to the character, if anything! Mind posting some texture flats for us to see?

Awesome character!
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice model. Love the attitude he has. I think the legs look fine. would love to see the uvs and texture map for this
  • Piotr Szlaga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys...yeah you totally right about the legs they aren't anatomically correct. I started to build it in a cartoony look, later on I was not happy with the result and I tried to correct it in a realistic style. Maybe I'll correct it in the future but right now I'm working on a new model.

@Mcejn: Yeah, no problem! the model has 3 texture sheets for the head (1k), body (2k) and weapon (1k). Of course I used a colormap, normalmap and specularmap for each texture.

I didn't put the normal and specularmap of the shotgun in this image.

texturesheet.png
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Wow. Excellent work! I really like this. No crits from me. I love everything about this character.
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i love this character, maybe the legs as one user says up are a bit short. But if you want to maintain a cartoon look it's ok! Maybe he can wear sunglasses? Just an idea :P
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very clean maps. nice work
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks great but yea id say from the knee down make it longer. anyway awesome job! change the title
  • Piotr Szlaga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some closeups form the shotgun.

shotgunshot.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    man man man didn't thomas learn anything from me? :D
    if you use gi for your maps, try not to overlay it too much, right now you have some pitch black areas in your texture, a little darker is ok but this will never be brightened up by any light
    maybe turning the bounces for your bake would work too, so it brightens up automaticly but will take a little longer to bake
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Hey nice job Poitr. Great texture quality. Nice Pose. Biped?

I'm not sure the proportions are quite there yet. They're still borderline - whats wrong with his short legs? Instead of - cool cartoon proportions! I would go a touch closer to TF2/Incredibles and go smaller feet and knees and head and shorter arms. Or he could easily go in the other direction towards superhero if you just extended the legs.

An easy way to apply the same lighting to all your zbrush objects is to turn MRGB on and under Color hit Fill Object. Do this to each subobject. To disable it again ...don't save. Or under Tools>Colorize>Disable.
  • Piotr Szlaga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox: thx for the advice I'll try this the next time.

@TWilson: thx! well I did the pose in zbrush with the transpose master. (you know quick and dirty) I had no time for a rig so I took this method. After the transpose you must do some corecction, but it has lasted 2 hours for this pose. And thanks for the lighting in zbrush I wondered how I can adjust this. :thumbup:
  • A.Ceylan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great character, man!

Can't wait to see the next bad boy.

cu,

Atilla