Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Bathroom Sink!

Hey guys,

here is a prop I have worked on and finished. Still not sure if I want to do a whole bathroom environment or move on to highpoly stuff. C&C are always welcome. Let me know what would increase my chances of finding a job, thanks! :)

Sink_closeUp.jpg

Sink_full1.jpg

Sink_Left1.jpg

Replies

• Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't say that this was finished unless you are trying to see how much you can do in a certain time e.g. "I made this prop in 8 hours" type of portfolio thing.

I would tweak the dirt inside the bowl a bit, if this has been standing outside (?) the rain would have smear that rust all over the top part and smoothed it down into the bowl. I would just add another soft rust miscoloring layer to achive that look. Also any dirt the bowl would have to be smeared more towards the drain, where a whirlpool would form.

Fix the two seams where you have cracked the bowl.

See if you can add a shadow or some extra dirt along the edge where the top of the bowl meets the back part. I know that you have the same texture on the lip of the bowl.

Cracks in the stone where the pipes meet the bowl.

Crack open the side of the pillar, shown some waterpipes connected to the faucets sticking through (not sure how this would be made in real life though).
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It's a good design and looks like a good start but...

I'd make the edge of the bowl much rougher where it's broken or try to distinguish between the edge and the rest of the bowl in some way. It looks too much like it's always been broken.

Also the rust texture is too even. It needs to be more speckled and noisy. I would also add more dirt at the seams to emphasise the forms in the taps.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting prop, I have a couple of crits;

The rust around the bottom of the tap doesn't really blend properly, I don't think china would rust so I would assume those are general grime marks. I also believe the majority of the grime/green gundge would be around the plug-whole, while some of it is, it do you well to exaggerate it.

Good work.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton guys. Ya, I did this in 2 days and few hours here and there.

I am not really sure as a sink it is worth it to keep working on it? I mean in any game sinks/ bathrooms are really primitive. But unless you guys think this is interesting enough to keep hacking at it, then I will definitely finish it up.

I appreciate your time to critique my humble sink, because I know your crits will always make me a better 3D artist :D
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Mazvix wrote: »

I am not really sure as a sink it is worth it to keep working on it? I mean in any game sinks/ bathrooms are really primitive. But unless you guys think this is interesting enough to keep hacking at it, then I will definitely finish it up.

Well the quality of a single asset, such as this sink, really depends on the game, and the artist, and time. In a game you'd be helping make a complete level and may not have time to polish a sink. However that doesn't mean that you can't polish this one sink because learning to get those smaller details right will help you as an artist.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the parts where its broken should be cleaner than the rest of it i think
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    In regards to whether you should continue to work on the sink...
    Ask yourself: "Why am I making this sink in the first place?"
    If the answer is just for practice then perhaps you learned something and you can move on. But if you want to use this as a portfolio piece then definitely continue to make it as perfect as possible. The more perfect your work is, the better your chances of getting hired. So really, don't hesitate to put some time into your work. Just my 2 cents.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again,

The idea behind the way I textured the sink is, it got broken off and over bits of time dirt and dust came over it, that is why it might look like it has been broken for a while/ smaller pieces.

Updates:

Sink_close.jpg
    Sink_close_left.jpg
    Sink_large.jpg
    Texture.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think even if it has been cracked for a while there would still be bumpy smooth bits on the cracked surfaces. Right now (looking at the top picture) you have flat surfaces there with hard edges. Without someone coming in and sanding these bits flat, I don't believe this would occur naturally. It's a minor point really, but I think if you work on this, it will sell the peice much more.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get what your saying.
    It is unfortunate that my normals are not showing due to the way the light setup, it flatenned that area, compare to the inner right side, which you can see the bumps. I will see what I can do, thanks for the support Brad.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah! I deleted the images by mistake, forgive me.

I have the final ones on my website.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks cool man, i had to check it out on your site. given the size a prop like that on screen I think the end result is a good amount of detail. the thing that I would work on is your speed. also, I think the spec could use a bit of punch, and maybe a spec power mask to give the porcelin a bit of a tighter highlight than the tap.

in my experience 3 days for a prop is wayyy to long unless it is something huge and intricate. I would expect about 4 hours max for this, so say in a workday you could do a toilet and sink then be moving on. one of the biggest things for environments is knowing where to spend your most time, and seeing that 3 days would make me wary if i was a recruiter, maybe either remove it from the image or do some speed modeling/texturing to show you can be speedy and get good results.

anyways nice work man looks good.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks pixel for your kind words. It wasnt 3 days/ 8 hours a day. It was few hours here and there, but to avoid confusion and having to explain myself, I removed it completely. I will work on my speed, thanks a lot man!