Home Technical Talk

Hard Surface Normal Maps

So I'm trying to create some normal maps for some hard surface objects. Like a table for instance.
I want a normal map so that I can get the look of nice smooth edges on my low poly so that the lighting will reflect off of it nicely in game.

But here's my problem,

I keep getting gradients going across the top of my flat surface in the UVs.

My high poly model is modeled with bevels on all the edges. I subdivided it a few times before I smoothed it in Maya so that it'll look nice and crisp before I bake it to the low poly.
I don't see any problems with the model until I try and transfer it.

I tested this on a cube to see if I was crazy and I got the same results. Gradients going across every surface in the UVs.

When I did the cube test, all I did was bevel every edge for the high poly and subdivide the center a few times. The low poly was just the standard cube.
I then go into Maya's Transfer Maps and I keep everything default.

Here is where I do one of 2 things.

Before I bake it, I usually soften the normals on the low poly mesh completely. Mostly because if I keep the hardened, I'll get crunchy edges. But I don't get any gradient when I harden the normals though. But I'd rather not have the crunchy edges.
I soften all the edges of the model, then I get the gradient across the flat surface of my UVs. It's not noticeable in Maya, but if I try to light it in engine, I notice that gradient.

Does someone know what I'm doing wrong?

This is incredibly frustrating to not be able to back a simple normal map. :(

Thanks in advance

Replies