Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiki Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
Hey PolyCount Been lurking for a while and figured I would take the mask off and start a thread.
Well this is my first real attempt at an environment. Im gonna try and block this out with the Tiki head as the center piece and then take it into zbrush for details bake to normals yadda yadda

Maybe someone can help me with the spec aspect of it. How many poly's are usually allowed for an environment scene in UT3? :think:

Anyways here's the concept for the Tiki and The Blockout so far in max. My next update will have a bit more substance i promise :D :thumb:

tikiconceptresize.jpg
blockout.jpg

Replies

• Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PhattyEwok, I like the concept work on the left. I would say keep working it out.

As for the environment, I think you have a bit of work still cut out for you in the pre-production process. The 3d render does not really give me any info on how the environment will look and feel. There is a lot of questions that need to be addresed:
    -is this night or day?
    -what is the mood and overall color?
    -How are the large, medium and small shapes composed?
    -Does this look interesting even in a simple form???
    -Are you going with that red color on the tiki guy, if so, why?
    -How are the different values (light and dark) going to work with eachother?

As a critique goes, there is just not enough info to give you any real feedback.
    I would strongly recommend sketching out primary view of the environment on paper first and maybe a quick painting in Photoshop.

Good luck,
    -Neil
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome thanks for the feedback I gonna take it all and produce some new block outs and a few more concept art dumps. The Tiki is Red because when I drew it the nearest paper was red construction paper and that's what I drew on I was actually going for a stone look to the tiki or really old wood look.

By Monday I Will Have More for you school and the bunch can be time consuming :)