Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook : Said Zaree

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Diwan polycounter lvl 13
Hi all. So I decided to start a sketchbook thread. Putting up mostly my work done for my classes. Please feel free to critique!

Thanks for watching.

This assignment is to make a weapon from Warhammer, I picked the epic weapon. Tri limit is 1k.

epic.jpg

quick blockout

wip.jpg

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Could we maybe see the wireframes?

Will this be textured and Zbrushed? I'd like to see how it turns out =)
  • Glenn-Brando
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I remember this project...

What up!? Can't wait to see how you tackle it!
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Here is the wireframe and first hipoly, I'm doing the skull by the blade in zbrush and I'm actually going to approach the gryphn in photoshop, I dunno if the result don't turn out as good I might go back and sculpt the gryphn as well.

wip04-1.jpg
    wip02-1.jpg
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Here is the first bake,

wip05.jpg

The skull seem very flat even though I have a separate geometry from the blade, a friend suggested that I should extrude it out a bit so I'm going to try that. Sitting on 951 tris so far, and the gryphn was made in Photoshop. Let me know what you guys think!
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    It's certainly coming along. I want to see how it'll turn out with textures when you're done :)
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, thanks Zilk. I actually requested this thread to be removed from the sketchbook section. I'ma repost it at the show off your art section as a WIP thread instead as soon as it is taken off. Didn't feel like it belonged here...
  • Glenn-Brando
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys, this has been done on other forums and we are going to give it a try here. You are only allowed to start one thread in this forum. That will be your digital sketchbook that you can use for whatever you do: 2D, 3D, sculpting, writing, whatever. Try to make new posts (not new threads!) in your "sketchbook" instead of updating one post over and over and overwriting old work. The point of your thread is to keep track of stuff you have done and watch your progression, just like a hardcopy sketchbook.

You should be fine here, Said.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    I guess ure right Glenn, thanks.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    So I abandoned my DW entry, and made it to my midterm bust. Here is what I got so far, all done from scratch in zbrush.

wip01.jpg

wip02-2.jpg

The color on the horn on his head is not working for me, looking for some advice and guidance out there. It's an ice elemental demon. Thanks!
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    First texture pass in max, with spec and some lighting.

demon_wip.jpg
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Alright so here is my final render.

Presentation01.jpg

Presentation02.jpg

I think I managed to get a little bit of the wet look that I wanted on his head, and the transparency of the crystal is working also. But the glow is maybe to much? The body is painted in zbrush and the big shoulder piece in photoshop. I still haven't managed to get the paint from zbrush to look good in max, it gets very pixelated. Anyone have a good painting workflow for zbrush?
    I made the retopology in zbrush for the first time, and I have to say it is a great tool. Very easy and efficient. As always any c&c are welcome, hit me hard! :)

Thanks for watching
    /Diwan
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Hey dude. The gun is turning out pretty sweet. You start texturing yet? It should turn out pretty legit once your all done.

As for the ice demon fella.... I think it looks good. Sorry you had to give up on the entry but its cool you at least stuck with it and continued the bust. Would have liked to seen the whole thing. I like the colors. I don't think the glow is too much.

Sorry I'm new to zbrush so I don't have any good work flow techniques yet. I think though with the pixelation when you use paint... are you painting on the highest subd? I think that effects how the paint is applied. Not totally sure.

Keep up the good work man.