Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Daikini in a Cage.

This is 2 days of work, and I think I am going to start the cage next. I am hoping to use only a 1024 sheet for the whole thing.

Ref Sheet
WillowRefsmall.jpg

Front view
renderfrontcopy.jpg

Back view
renderbackcopy.jpg

Please let me know how this looks so far, and I will update with the cage soon...

:thumbup::thumbup:

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks good but you need some rope otherwise its al gonna fall apart
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh the ropes are coming! :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    haha awesome. A willow game would be the tits.

I feel like all the beams are all the same in size so some smaller/thinner beams would go a long way.- and based on the ref this structure seems much taller and spindly.

another observation from the ref is those cages seem much more tall/slim- similar in shape to a can of redbull where the ref shapes you currently have seem squashed like a can of soup.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! I was excited to see the term Daikini in a thread title. The NES game = my childhood.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why can you not delete your own posts?IMG%5D
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished for the day, started adding ropes around the wood, and I may be through with the cages? I may do some color adjustments to them...

Cage 1212 Tri's a piece
    cagescopy-1.jpg

Front
    renderfrontcopy-1.jpg

Back
    renderbackcopy-1.jpg

Let me know! Laters!

:thumbup::thumbup:
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need more rope. :P
    -Neil
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too muck black in the cracks make the normals good enough so that the cracks only need to be slightly darker
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torrrtilla wrote: »
    I think you need more rope. :P
    -Neil

I plan on putting more rope around the structure, it was just quitting time for me. :)
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    too muck black in the cracks make the normals good enough so that the cracks only need to be slightly darker

There are no normal maps applied in these screens, but I am taking note. When I adjust the color next time, I will try to make the blacks just a darker brown?

Thanks to you for the comments! :)
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    "Peck! Peck! Peck, peck, peck, peck, peck, peck, peck!"

Wow, I really need to get that movie on DVD - used to watch it a lot when I was younger. Thanks for a childhood flashback! :)
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice Zach, great subject. You going to do a Mad Mardigin or maybe some skeletons in the cages?
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    Very nice Zach, great subject. You going to do a Mad Mardigin or maybe some skeletons in the cages?

I am going to try some bones and skulls and what not, no Madmartigan though. :(
    neolith wrote: »
    Wow, I really need to get that movie on DVD

Dude, I found my copy in the five dollar bin at the Wal-Marts...

I painted on the texture for a few minutes, tying to get rid of the blacks. Added some more ropes, and the metal plates.

Does this structure look like it could stand like this? I plan on adding even more rope, but it will be decorative rope, not used in the actual holding up of this structure. Does that make sense? Anyway here it is...
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some work on this...I have a couple of questions though.

864trichain.jpg

1. Is 864 tri's to heavy for that chain?
    2. Which looks better the Orange arrow or blue arrow for a bush?

More screen shots.

Over head view port
    overheadviewport.jpg

From eye level?
    renderfrontcopy-3.jpg

I plan on adding more rope to the main structure, creating more bushes, trees, and grass, and getting the floor less blurry.

Tear it up!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay for Willow!!!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    1. that depends on what the model is being used for
    2. ornj
    3. more rope
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. that depends on what the model is being used for
    2. ornj
    3. more rope

1. portfolio piece
    2. The ornj one is a plane with a PNG image attached to it. The blue one is 1300 polygons of me trying to create a dead bush model. Maybe, I will try again?
    3. I added some rope to the base stand, and some to the cages to try to make them look unique. I think next for the cages is going to be fabric and cloth in the bottom of them.

New screens, let me know.

If you want to paint over where I should add rope, please feel free to do so.
    renderfrontcopy-4.jpg

the cages
    cagescopy-2.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i was kidding about the rope
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Its hard to admire the close up shots when that ground texture is so low res.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the ground look any better? I tried to add some cloth in the cages, and more around the base. I still need to finish those crates...

Wireframe
    overheadviewport-1.jpg

renderfrontcopy-5.jpg

cagescopy-3.jpg

What would you add/do?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use tiling textures for the ground, and spend more time on it, it takes about 70% of the screen but looks like ass, sorry but true, there should be paths around the structure to show where people have been, i would suggest a shiney mud footprinted type ground, mixed with grass and trampled wet grass (festival grass), with maybe a few stones

why are all the textures different texel densities, your spending of resources is very imbalanced

and i think KP meant what type of game would it be for
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, gotta make sure that texel density is consistent.

I would also play with the values of the wood beams to separate them more. It doesn't matter what's realistic.. it's important that the object is readable.. and right now it's a bit visually mixed together. separating sections of the object by doing value shifts would probably make it a lot more readable.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how you check the density right? What needs to change?

densitycheckcopy.jpg

Would you like to see the flats as well? I am working on making the wood stand more readable, and Festival Grass!

I guess it would be for an FPS?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its coming along nicely.

The tiny boxes look really dense? Are they super important?

Instead of a slightly deformed plane how about put it on a pedestal base?
    That might help you take shots from different angles and not be looking down on it all the time?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    The fact that you have more density given to the crate boxes (which are the smallest pieces of the scene) than the ground and the major support pieces of the object tell me you have a bit to learn about what it means to maintain ratio.

You are literally going opposite in your scene, where the biggest objects have the least, and the smallest have the most.

Don't render it and look at it from 100 yards away - imagine you are a player standing down there on the ground looking at this scene. The ground would look like shit, and the biggest support pieces of the structure would look worse than the smaller objects.

Making an object for a "portfolio piece" doesn't mean a potential employer won't be looking at whether or not your object would actually fit or work in a game environment.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The crates are not finished. If you look at the render they are flat shaded, I have not UV mapped them at all. Maybe I should have deleted them out of the checkered render? I plan on getting to those and the festival grass soon.

here are the flats at 50 percent. I could probably leave them this size huh? Change the rope sizes? more Rock?
    crownestcopycopy.jpg

floorcopycopy.jpg

a close up of the cage/wood
    cagescopy-4.jpg

Do they not look good close up?

Thank you Vig! :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    confused to why you didn't just make the wood part tileable? you have one peice that tiles vertically... but why not just make it on a 512x256 and do the same for the rope? Congrats on putting it all on one page.. but you'll make it much easier for yourself if you use tileable textures.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    confused to why you didn't just make the wood part tileable? you have one peice that tiles vertically... but why not just make it on a 512x256 and do the same for the rope? Congrats on putting it all on one page.. but you'll make it much easier for yourself if you use tileable textures.

I see what your saying...I may change up my flat and take out to two pieces of wood at the bottom, continue the wood to the bottom and tile it...I never saw that before. :poly142:

I added some festival grass, a couple of broken cages, rounded the bottom of the floor so I can make it on a pedestal. I also tried to make some brates, and a broken crate as well. I tried to take the screens from eye level..

How is it looking? :poly122:

From the back
    renderbackcopy-2.jpg

assets
    assetscopy.jpg

The in the air view, see the paths?
    renderfrontcopy-6.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    I think you've got a nice model here, but once again, it's really lacking from a big picture perspective.. I think this could be a great object though, very quickly -- so don't get discouraged!!

honestly, when i look at the image, it's a total chaotic mess. I can't for the life of me distinguish one object from another. The reason for this is that you aren't controlling the values and color in your scene.

Take those rocks -- they're really bright, next to a dark ground. it's the highest point of contrast in the scene, and my eye is drawn right to them. the wooden object it's self, however, is the same value of the ground, and a similar level of saturation. Also, all of the planks are the same value, so I can't tell for the life of me what I'm looking at. the ropes are brighter.

it's a common mistake, to be honest. What you're doing is deciding on your values from the point of view of "what color would this object actually be" -- this is a BIG MISTAKE. you need to chose your materials to find a way to make the object readable in the context of the scene, and have it realistic somehow.

You need to consider this stuff even if you're actually going for something confusing and ambiguous. That shot that you took from the back is MUCH more pleasing, because it's tonal range is very simple and it's a very ambiguous composition.. it's an image that looks like it's ment to be confusing.. you've got all these funky diagonals.. it's abstract and nice. The pulled back shot, however, where we're trying to actually understand what we're looking at, is painful.

I would:

desaturate the ground
    darken those rocks so that they blend in with the ground
    Brighten those cages.. turn them metal if you have to.. or at least make them old, dry wood or something, so that they pop out.

basically flatten out the contrast everywhere in terms of color, saturation, and value, except for the areas that you want to be interesting.. make those areas brighter, more colorful, what ever...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Like the wooden structure but the ropes don't look like ropes because they look faceted and too low poly, they should be cylindrical with a single smooth group. Personally I would mix the ropes with big bolts/nails for support and variety.

The ground texture as mentioned looks too low res for the rest of the scene plus it would be nice to see some wear around where the poles had been dug into the ground.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I played around a bit with colors and saturation, and contrast, etc.

I do plan on adding more things like you stated GCMP, but for now how do these colors look? I tried to give you the same views as above so you can compare.

cagescopy-5.jpg

renderfrontcopy-7.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not a fan of your ground texture still. It's tons better than before, but it doesn't look like your paths mean anything. Think about where people would actually walk and put your paths there. Also, don't just have dirt fade to grass. I'd go the extra step and have the dirt go to dead grass to grass or something of the sort.... just something to add more variance to it. I like how you have the specks of rock in the texture but overall it's still just a big chaotic mess.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Think about the 3d as an illustration man, just because its 3d doesnt mean you can ignore good dramatic lighting, shillouette and readability.

Also there is too much visual noise in the texture which works like camoflage making it hard to pick out shapes from each other.

Dont mind the crappy paintover

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/muzzoid/bleh.jpg