Home Technical Talk

Wacom Intuos - to buy or not to buy

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
So I got rid of my lame Graphire some time ago, and I now find myself looking for a new tablet. Can get an Intuos 1 A5 for roughly $85. Yay or nay? :shifty:

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    does it still have the pen? if not then nay. Its impossible to find an intuos 1 pen nowadays.

And even if it does i still wouldn't recommend it over any of the other tablets, but then again i haven't actually used an intuos 1, but those things are ooooold.

I think it would be more worth the money spending it on another graphire or bamboo, or if you have the money and intuos 3 or 4.

I have an intuos 4 a5 and man it is fucking sweet.... expensive though.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thing is that I'm a bum and can't shell out a lot for a tablet. Haggled the price down to $50. Tempting.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would say intuos2! They go for 100 on ebay 'buy it now'
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Iv had an intous 1 a6 for like...8 years? and its %!£*£() badass. If you can afford it, get a newer revision, but if not, the 1 is just as badass!
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »

What are the major differences between the two?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    wow, there are a few unopened Intuos3's for 125 bid, 150 buy it now.
    But was there really much difference between 2-3 as there was between 1-2?

I think intuos 2 is your best bet at this point, probably get a good size for a really cheap price.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buy something that you know is going to be quality. If you want a 6x8 intous 3, get it. Intous' last forever, and unless you're completely broke, its a decent investment to buy a new one and not cheap out and get a used 5 year old model. Sure you can find a $100 wacom, but are you just going to end up buying a new one in a couple years? If so, just get something nice from the start.
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I'd second EQ's comment, bought my own intuos1 7 years ago full price, just changed it for an intuos 4 that I hope will last me as much !!!
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought mine in 2002 its still kicking strong. Probably the best and longest lasting bit of comp kit I own. You'll never go back to drawing with a mouse.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    What are the major differences between the two?

case color, differently shaped pen with rubber-grip, less vulnerable to CRT monitor radiation (cursor-jitter). performance feels exactly the same as version 1 to me.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    wow, there are a few unopened Intuos3's for 125 bid, 150 buy it now.
    But was there really much difference between 2-3 as there was between 1-2?

I think intuos 2 is your best bet at this point, probably get a good size for a really cheap price.

1 and 2 are really similar, 3 has the buttons on the side. I have a 3 at work and would kill for it at home so i don't have to reach for my keyboard
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I didnt read most of the thread, but just to chime in, I use an Intuos 1 thats probably older than some polycounters. (ok, Im lying) Its freakin' awesome. Nearly 8 years on this bad boy and never even a hiccup.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also bought mine refurbished directly from Wacom for around 50% retail. Best comp equip ever.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: What's the deal with Intuos 2? Did they hit some kind of sweet spot and never regained it? Started from Intuos 3, seems like 4 is the logical upgrade, no?
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I have an Intuos 1 ...works fine for me.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasmus: I know Pior really likes the surface of the 2, which is less slick than more recent models. I'd be inclined to agree, although I personally (and for some reason: controversially) really like having some buttons available on the tablet itself. Oh, and I think the 4 series do look pretty sexy. As do the intuous 3, really.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh... texture. I've fantasized about putting some kind of thin sheet inbetween pen and tablet for some "feel", I agree it lacks a certain something. Oh well, I know I'm gonna fall for the sexy look of an intuos4 anyway :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah! Intuos2 belongs to the 'slipcover' generation, you can slide a piece of paper under the main flexible cover. I actually *don't* use this feature, but it's just that this thin transparent layer has a great feel to it, as opposed to the 'powder coated' hardplastic feel of the newer ones.

Also the intuos2 pen fits better in the hand (the intuos 3 and 4 default pens really are horrible once you get a taste of the v2 pen)
    Check this out :
    wacom_XP501E.jpg

With intus3 you can still get the 'classic pen' that looks jus tlike the pen from the intuos1 (confusing!), it's a bit on the thin side but still better than the default.

You can have buttons on the 2, they are just flush with the surface hence a bit hard to avoid. You can put tape on them to make them easier to distinguish.

Just my 2cents!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    buttons on the intuos2 tablet? you mean the menu strip that 1 and 2 share?

wacom_pens.jpg

intuos1 pen (1st and 2nd from the right) is best. :) no sticky rubber, firm sidebutton and the dimensions of a normal pen. nibs are interchangable between intuos generations, btw. i use the spring loaded one from series 3 in the intuos2 pen.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    anyone have any opinions on the Cintiq 12WX? been thinking about saving up and getting one of these after about 6 months or so.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    I have an 6x8 Intuos 3 currently and I used to have a little 4x5 Intuos 1. The difference between the two is fairly noticeable due to the fact that the Intuos 3 has more pressure sensitivity with the pen than the Intuos 1.

I had to save forever to get my Intous 3 but it was worth every penny. Think of art supplies as investments. Haha I compare everything to is it more than my 6 months of car insurance, then I reconsider.

As said before older models are harder to find replacement parts for (plastic cover, new pen).
    Watch out and try not to always draw in the same spot on your tablet because you will rub holes over time in your plastic cover.

P.S.
    Rubber grips are not that bad, but they do pick up oils from you hands easy and sometimes become slick, just be careful and slide the rubber grip off (unscrew tip & Take off button), then wash it in (dish soap, not powder, not crap you pore into dish washer) soapy water. Not too soapy because it will cause the rubber to crack if you do not rinse all the soap water off properly. Then thoroughly dry it before sliding it back on your pen. (Intuos 3 tablet only)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    ps.... one of the main things about the intuos 4 is how nice the texture feels :D.

Im loving mine. With the new nib type it feels very ... creamy... i dont know how else to discribe it.
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think about this http://www.pentagram.eu/products/graphic_design_accessories/pentagram_virtuoso_p_2005

Much cheaper than Wacom, and the same (or better than Wacom)
  • empeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    empeck polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't tried new Pentagram tablet, but I couldn'd live without two buttons on the pen (Intuos 3 A5 user).
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I wouldn't be able to do any 3d work with my Intuos stylus without the MMB and RMB (no use for the eraser button though). Having only one button other than LMB would suck... what were those pentagram people thinking!? Hopefully they will make a Cintiq clone with TWO (or more) buttons on the pen.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Gerbeiter wrote: »
    Think about this http://www.pentagram.eu/products/graphic_design_accessories/pentagram_virtuoso_p_2005

Much cheaper than Wacom, and the same (or better than Wacom)

hadn't heard of them! they're quick to point out they've courageously brought about "the end of Wacom's monopoly".

what makes you say they're better?
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    if you do get a wacom, make sure to check this out: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154862

it's a nifty little trick to edit the pressure sensativity so you dont have to jam the pen into the tablet to get full pressure.