Home Technical Talk

Texture Files : Maya VS Photoshop... the WAR!!!!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sama.van polycounter lvl 14
Maya fuck!!!!!

I prefer to say that at the beginning mouahahaha!

It's not the first time but I'm tired. When I work on a texture with photoshop and want to save it, sometimes it appears that : "cannot save the file (...) already open"...

Then I need to restart Maya... and I can save... It's great isn't it? "yeahh.. I like it!"

I'm probably not the same with this problem but anyway!
The most crazy with Maya is when you replace the texture file with another one and this stupid program continu to get the priority on the file!

Anyway!!!!!

Is there someone he could explain to me why I have this problem sometimes?

You can speak to me about Maya's secrets... variable to kill... or directory or pref to delete ..
I'm ready to create the ultimate weapon against maya!!!

I'll win one day !!! and I will jump on your paper box!!! Take the DVD and scratch it against a wall on 10 km! I will dispacth each octet of you arround the world!!!

Yes one day when I'll have lot of money Ill do it :) I promess!! :D

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    that only happens with when i use png
    What if you save your psd, and then start using save as for tga or something like that, and only use tgas inside maya?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hi sama, try Unlocker- if its the usual error of 'cannot do bla, it is being used by another person or program' type error
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i have been using maya for 7-8 years now and not once has it locked a texture file for me ! you are doing it wrong !!!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I have to say, I have never run into this issue in a couple of years of using Maya alongside PS... sorry :)
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also had this problem recently. I do not know why it does it, but I found it would give the error if I tried to render a file format which was not supported by mental ray. The renderer would switch itself to maya software once it failed to render the .psd fail and from that point on, I am unable to save the file.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quillisia wrote: »
    I also had this problem recently. I do not know why it does it, but I found it would give the error if I tried to render a file format which was not supported by mental ray. The renderer would switch itself to maya software once it failed to render the .psd fail and from that point on, I am unable to save the file.

I used to run into this same issue, for the same reason. The fix is to just save out TGAs for use in maya... it's a whole lot faster to work in maya this way as well once your PSDs start getting massive.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I sometimes have that with Max when using very big PSD files, I assume it is because max already detects that the file is being altered or is changed even though PS is not yet done saving it tries to load the files already- as soon as PS done max is still accessing the file resulting into a failure on PS side for the whole save process.
    In this cases (not often) I just re hit several times save until it works (usually after the 2nd or 3rd attempt),

Another plain trick would be to temporary assign a different texture file in maya and once done saving in PS reassign the correct PSD file again.
    Also are you working on network folders? that could be another reason why the steaming is not fast enough and either PS or maya hangs up or fails caused by the other to update the file proper. Working on a local HD (not USB drive) usually helps alot with big files.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Yes I work with PNG file/....

And it always did that for 4 years I have been using Maya.....

I will try the unlocker program, thank you Rooster! ^_^