Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio: Carlo Carfora, Environment Artist

www.carlocarfora.co.uk

Hey guys, I am going to start applying for jobs over the next month and I'd really appreciate any feedback and criticism you might have over my current portfolio and the work that's in it.

I'm unsure if the presentation works, having one large image with all the artwork on it. If it's a really bad idea I'll be sure to change it, but my reasoning for it was that if someone wanted to save the image its all there as one. I know some of you don't like lightbox, but this clone does have right-click save as functionality and i reduced the animation time to it's bare minimum.

I do have more content to add so I'll be updating this thread but I would rather have your feedback while I'm working on the presentation.

Sorry for the long block of text! :)

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, not bad.
    Crits on website:
    The layout of the site (size wise) looks ok on my monitor but I'm sure on smaller monitors its ridiculously big, especially the banner.
    I'm not a big fan of the blog style layout you have, and I always have felt that its far more natural to have "Links" on the left hand side versus the right.
    Crits on artwork:
    The Game art looks decent, but unfinished. With how competitive the game industry is, you will have to really put a lot more work into various projects for your portfolio. The stuff you have looks good, but like I said; it just needs more time put into it.
    Also, the breakdown you gave on your unreal scene is a good start, but I think you should also add polycounts too. There are very few people who get hired now a days right out of school (I'm one of them). IMO the real work begins when your done with school, good luck dude!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Your portfolio shows you have a strong base already, you just need to be more ambitious and create something huge and unique that will become your "trademark". I would also remove the 3d stills from the site if I were applying for a game company.

A few separate props are very unlikely to get you a job in such a competitive industry so join a mod or start your own little project. That's the best way to break into the industry.

Good luck man!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the feedback.

Brad, I made some changes to my website layout based on what you said and I think it looks much better having reduced everything in size.

Minotaur, thanks for the encouragement! I'm currently working on something bigger so it's good to know I'm heading in the right direction. As for a "trademark", I'm not sure what you mean? I will be applying for games companies too so I guess I should remove the 3D stills section as it's irrelevant.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The basis you have for your portfolio is solid. The design and layout aren't very ambitious, but they definitely serve the purpose that they are intended for. Dandying up your portfolio is something to handle after you already have it working and populated.

I would just focus on finishing up some of your portfolio pieces. You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the technical aspects of modeling. At this point you just need to actually produce the content. If you have any pieces that aren't textured yet, go ahead and finish that. Start scetching up some ideas for new pieces.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all, I've updated my portfolio so right now it's as current as it can get. Just finished my studies now, so I'm officially looking for a job :)

www.carlocarfora.co.uk

Any feedback is always appreciated. I know it's really competitive at the moment, so I will be working as hard as I can not only to get more finished pieces in my folio but also to learn more. Thanks for all the previous posters comments by the way.