Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio: Loraine Howard III, 3D Artist

Hey Guys, my name is Loraine Howard III, I received my bachelors in Animation from S.C.A.D in 2007. I am currently seeking an 3D Artist position. This is the first time I have posted all of my best works. The two character sheets that have w.i.p on them are currently in the process of being completed, the rest are finished artworks. I have a website but it needs updating so please enjoy and Critic my artwork.:) If you need to contact me you can reach me at rainclev81@hotmail.com

lambo.jpg

allfaces2.jpg
allfacestexturesheet.jpg
9.jpg

balrogfin1-1.jpg

cgcars.jpg

slimerp2.jpg

8.jpg

kiv.jpg

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    cool work, good luck man!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Dude your portfolio is totally sick-house. I would say you're looking for an art position, not an internship or entry-level position. If you're new to the industry any position is entry level, but when you say you're specifically looking for an entry-level position or an internship you're looking desperate, which you really shouldn't be with that portfolio.

Good luck man!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    cool work, good luck man!

I think Loraine is a girl :P

Nice work but if you want a job working in the games industry as an artist you really need to put your assets into a game engine.
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, thanks for the share.clear.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Let's see some texture flats too eh?
  • Everett McGuire
    Very nice. for portfolio work you should always inlcude what was used to make it and the stats like poly count etc, like you did with characters. showing more wire frames shots is nice too. very good work and its nice to see how you went about doing it.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Thanks guys for the comments, I will put some texture flats up later. Oh and by the way Minotaur0 I'm a Guy not a Girl.lol:poly136:
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Hey whats up bud. Wow. Really surprised me with these ones here. The lambo and the rest of the vehicles are super badass. Love the Ferrari. I think the glass turned out awesome. Had only seen the character stuff before, so it's great to see some other stuff you have finished here. The Iphone looks spot on as well.

Can't wait to see the site up and running. You got some great pieces to start it off well. Keep up the good work.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the colour map on the face has way too much specular burned in.

The same face with the normal map looks odd as though the green channel is flipped
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    A lot of your high poly characters look good. But they don't seem to translate well with low poly versions. I think you can expand to add a fair amount more polys on characters. I primarily use Unreal and the average character we import is around 6000-8000 polys. I think thats about the industry standard now.

Another suggestion is keeping WIP out of your portfolio. Most art directors want to see finished work you have. The boxer you have is really cool and I'd love to see it finished!
  • Loraine Howard iii
    On my characters that are wips, i think im just gonna finish the modeling on those and call it a day, Im not sure if texturing them is that important. I have a couple of pieces that show that i can texture ok. Plus two of my friends who are now in the gaming industry only had models with no textures, so i think i'll have a good chance with my work.

BlvdKnights- I don't understand what you mean exactly as far as my characters not translating well to low poly. I can see it in the portrait I did of the guy, but not my two new wips. Oh Plus I know not to put wips in my portfolio, I just did it just so people can see what I'm working on that's all. Basically im just using this thread so people can see my work and possible be choose for a 3d artist job.

Ruz- I totally agree with you, I think the reason why the normal version looks like that is beacause of my lighting in maya. i may need to use better lights or a game engine.

Sir Kincade- Thanks man, yeah at my last job i was gun hole on hard surface stuff, I'm now burnt out on it so I'm back on my character modeling. I still feel like my hard surface work is better but im trying to change that.:\
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On my characters that are wips, i think im just gonna finish the modeling on those and call it a day, Im not sure if texturing them is that important. I have a couple of pieces that show that i can texture ok. Plus two of my friends who are now in the gaming industry only had models with no textures, so i think i'll have a good chance with my work.
    You're correct in that feeling. It's ok to show high poly sculpts alone as long as you have plenty of proof that you can make a whole character from start to finish (game model + textures) already. It's always a plus to finish all the way to in-game however. Remember, every corner you cut in your portfolio, is cutting into your next salary.

Right now i only see one finished game-res model; busts don't really count sorry to say, although it does show you can bake. You would do well to work on some more full game pieces. Even just the practice is beneficial, not to mention beefing up your portfolio.

Ps : I wish i had a III in my name how cool is that :P
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Blvdnights- I don't understand what you mean exactly as far as my characters not translating well to low poly. I can see it in the portrait I did of the guy, but not my two new wips. Oh Plus I know not to put wips in my portfolio, I just did it just so people can see what I'm working on that's all. Basically im just using this thread so people can see my work and possible be choose for a 3d artist job..:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The spec on your characters' skin just seem really flat.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    I think Loraine is a girl :P

A girl that likes games AND cars? Yeah good luck! :D
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    Nice work but if you want a job working in the games industry as an artist you really need to put your assets into a game engine.

Not true. Wouldn't hurt, but nowhere near neccesary.

I would pull the first heads nose back in the side profile; its jutting out too much at the moment.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Blenderhead- Yeah man, crazy how people think I'm a girl. As far as the guys nose, it's actually like that in person.:)

BlvdNights- My bad, I should of told you but the top tier of the guys faces are render in z-brush. I have no clue how to show my specular map in z-brush. I need to work on my spec maps more, maybe I can find a good tutorial on it to practice more.

Art-Machine- I totally feel you, right now I just need a 3d Job so thats basically why i'm trying to hurry up and finish my portfolio. I'm not worried about taking a pay cut beause of my texturing. I willing to work on my texture work once I get a 3d job or at least get my stuff out there. This is actually my third portfolio I have put together since I have been out of school. I have tons of confidence in these works I'm sharing you you. I have been working on this portfolio for a year now and it feels good that the work is so close to being done. My problem with my last portfolio's is that I rushed through the process and regret sending the work off to companies cause I saw loop holes that were in my work. My main objective with this portfolio is to feel confident about my work and have no regrets after.......Hope it works:\
  • Loraine Howard iii
    thanks for the comments guys so far!!!!
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Very cool stuff man, are you gonna texture Balrog? Can't wait to see it finished cause I see you got some sick texture work going on on the low res guy. Awesome...give us more!!!
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! I like the way you shaded your cars. Great Balrog zsculpt. I hope to see more!