Home Technical Talk

Crysis Sandbox Editor - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    cant we have a sticky for this like the unreal thread?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a way to get Crysis to show triangle count of what I have selected?
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i brought crysis on steam and have tried to install the editor. It creates the bin64 folder with the editor.exe in but when i run the editor i get the following error:

"could not access SHAllocator.dll (check working dir, currently: C:\Program Files(x86\steam\steamapps\common\crysis\Bin64)"

Looking at the folder the .dll is missing. I can run the editor from the 32bit folder just fine but it means i dont get any of the 64bit goodness.

It seems to be a common problem but i cant find a solution anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Hey frubes, you could try this.

Crysis Wars Editor Installation intructions

Alexk- I dont know, still trying to find this out myself.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the response cody, i have been reading about the crysis wars sdk but i was wondering if you loose functionality over the standard crysis toolbox as it seams to be geared towards multiplayer mods? If not then it may well be a good solution.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Furbes

I am working both with vanilla and wars editor at the moment. I have yet to see any differences, other than in the terrain layers editor. As far as I know the changes are rather minor and almost purely cosmetic.

However, I'm not sure whether mods made in Wars editor are compatible with vanilla Crysis. Certain things (such as physics) were vastly improved in the Warhead/Wars. It probably depends on the scope of your mod.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    If you aren't gearing to specifically mod one or the other, I say go with the Crysis Wars editor it is vastly easier to get rolling with. If you are trying to get your mod on, then stick with Regular ole Crysis for single player mods. <-This opinion is just that and not based on facts of any sort. Please take this into consideration. :)
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anyway in Sandbox2 to see how many triangles you have total in the map (without the culling)?

Or will I manually have to track my assets?.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I have yet to find a way to get the total triangles. Also, trying to find out how to make a level with no terrain and water seems impossible, haha. I will continue searching. If anyone knows the answers please help.
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody wrote: »
    I have yet to find a way to get the total triangles. Also, trying to find out how to make a level with no terrain and water seems impossible, haha. I will continue searching. If anyone knows the answers please help.

When you make a map un-check terrain when you create it, and then when its created go to edit its terrain, erase/clear the heightmap, set the water level to 0. And click remove water, then you should see a pretty much empty map with water at the lowest level and terrain at the lowest level. Then you can go into the toolbar at the side and under one of the things there, i think its layers or something, just uncheck terrain and water. And it wont show them nor render them in the scene and your left with just a empty map with the sky only taking up 1-3k triangles, and if you don't want that you can also remove the sky.

Ill get screens or record a video if you can't find it.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To disable the terrain you have to go into the Environment tab, click on the Environment button and untick the ShowTerrainSurface option.
    If you want to disable to ocean simply remove the material from the Ocean/material field.

If you want to get better effects simply follow the things outlined in this tutorial http://wiki.crymod.com/index.php/Creating_a_Level_in_Space

I am afraid I don't know if there is a way to see the whole tri count of your map. However, the information displayed in the editor doesn't appear to reflect the correct tricount. Disabling the shadows and detail textures can significantly reduce your tricount, so I don't think that you should trust what you see the statistics you see in the editor.

If you want to measure the performance in the level, the best way to do that is to check the DP instead. Which you should try to keep around 2000-3000 per scene, although vanilla levels often go up to 5000-6000. CE2 seems to be able to render 3 000 000 tris per scene without any problems as long as you keep your DP quite low. Play it safe with the amount of lights and vegetation options (shadows, alpha blending, etc) and you can use a massive amount of tris without any performance issues.

If you want to check your tricount for the purposes of a competition, I am afraid it would be best to manually track your assets.
    I will try to check Crymod forums to see if this question has been answered before, but as I said I wouldn't trust Sandbox statistics.
    Your best shot would be to check the list of cvars, as I know that I used a couple of debug commands which gave me a bunch of different statistics. Unfortunately it's been a long time ago so I don't remember them anymore.

I hope that helps you guys.

edit:
    Monkey got here 10 minutes before me :P
    It's just as he says, except you don't erase the terrain. Just untick the ShowTerrainSurface and you are done :)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks a lot guys.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Is there a simple way to randomize the starting location on a singleplayer map? Or a workaround like teleporting the player to one of two locations at random?

Also, could anyone tell me why a whole bunch of buttons have bunched up on the left of the screen?

image-7E96_4AE87F06.jpg

Its the row with the movement/flyby speed on, which is annoying. :shifty:
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Randomizing the starting location should be easy to do with a flowgraph. I am not entirely sure how to do that, but you should probably check one of the multiplayer maps (they have different starting locations) and open the flowgraph editor to figure out how it was done by Crytek.
    It's probably something relatively easy, but I can't really help as I don't have much experience in this department.

I have never seen the second problem before, so I don't know how to fix it.
    If you have any modifications to the system.cfg file, you might want to delete it just to check if it helps. It's a pure guess though.
    Try to check Crymod forums. Somebody there must have experienced it before.
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    not realy about the subject of this thread , but now when "UDK" gives the chanceto start developping before You buy the engine,
    I'd like to know the price of "CRYENGINE 3" . Anybody knows ?

http://www.crytek.com/
    http://mycryengine.com/

didn't find the price.

thanks
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Only developers can get CryEngine3 as far as I know. But we should get it once Crysis2 comes out.
  • gaganjain
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    1.) Has anyone played with additional cameras at all? I still haven't figured out how to adjust where it faces while looking through it. Please help!

EDIT: I'm just going to add on to this post, since no one has responded yet.

2.) Adding terrain materials has been giving me some frustration. When painting layers on the terrain, my custom built layers (including the material) aren't showing up properly. If I use the terrain.layer shader on my material file, the layer shows up BLACK on the terrain! If I don't use the terrain.layer, the material simply doesn't show up.

Why do all terrain editors have to be so tricky?!

EDIT: I have resolved all these issues on my own!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    For anyone who may have the same problem as in cycloverid's 1st problem:

You can change the layout from display>configure layout so you can adjust the camera from a default camera viewport while looking through it in another viewport.
  • hauptman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i need some help here, this just happened recently. IDK why. when i create a new game and i make textures....ECT i cant get more then like 70 feet off the ground and then EVERY THING DISSAPEARS!! WTF? i have tryed changing textures, making a diff reselution, pretty much evrything i can think off and it still does not work. plz help!
    thanks!
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys 1 noob question is it possible to run the crysis editor without having the 5 gig game?? (running on 512kb internet speed so will take ages to download) thanks
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not simply buy Crysis or Crysis Wars on a DVD? You can get Crysis Maximum Edition for as much as £10 http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=crysis+wars&scoring=p

If that's not possible; you can download Crysis demo which weights a little bit less than 2GB. Keep in mind that it doesn't come with the same conent that full game does; reverse engineering Crytek's stuff helped me a lot when I was learning it.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    anyone know of any tutorials for exporting from maya to crysis? if possible?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I have read around , can't findnow the link , that Crytek will be releasing a free version of the SDK just like UDK , so there will not be the need of the game is this right?
  • metalliandy
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Well seems that they didn't release an editor for the Crysis 2 game and lot of features promised in the videos are not present in the final game like procedural destructions that are just prescritped events in the game sequences.....

what we are aboput to expect next? will they release a fully functional editor and sdk or not?
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Seems as much will be added with updates like UDK...
    If the docs I have read are correct
    DirectX 11 is not supported in the current sdk and will be added in a later update! :(
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    claydough wrote: »
    Seems as much will be added with updates like UDK...
    If the docs I have read are correct
    DirectX 11 is not supported in the current sdk and will be added in a later update! :(

You could get the C2 editor which has DX11 included
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Just started using cryengine for a portfolio project (mainly to experiment with the landscape and foliage) though is there any way for it to remember my terrain brush settings? As soon as I go to play it reverts to the default and also kicks me out of the modify tab. Just a minor issue but maybe you guys know a setting I am missing.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Just started using cryengine for a portfolio project (mainly to experiment with the landscape and foliage) though is there any way for it to remember my terrain brush settings? As soon as I go to play it reverts to the default and also kicks me out of the modify tab. Just a minor issue but maybe you guys know a setting I am missing.

You need to click Generate Terrain after you paint it, I had that same issue.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I'm doing a tutorial on creating broken concrete in CE3. Somthing that I thought was missing on the internetz! I'll be updating this thread until all the parts are done.. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100867

This is the version i did before the tutorial, so something like this.

ConcreteDecalTest_2.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    sltrOlsson - looks awesome man!

Is there a way to turn off terrain/make the background a different color like dark grey for presentation shots, view wise similar to that of Marmoset?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    If nothing else you could set up a material with a completly plain gray color, apply it to a box. Just use a material that can display color without reacting to light. Or turn of all lights and make it self illuminate..
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    You can also hide them temporarilly in the right panel. Or create a visarea volume and change its bg color. The later can also get rid of sun lighting and athmospherics.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks guys, will try those out :)
  • TruPeLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys 1 noob question is it possible to run the crysis editor without having the 5 gig game?? (running on 512kb internet speed so will take ages to download) thanks

Hey man, I downloaded this. It's a 1 GB setup. It has everything, including objects and texture packs. You just have to extract them to the game folder.
    http://mycryengine.com/
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry, posted in a wrong thread. This is about Crysis Sandbox, not standalone Editor, it seems. New post is situated there: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689957&postcount=43

Please delete this. :)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought i would finally get my thumb out of my ass and start learning the Cryengine SDK, but after many attempts i fail miserably.
    Im at the stage where i install all the plugins, I got the Crytiff working no problem but the CryExporter for Max 2012 X64 is giving me a issue that impare me from continuing.

TLDR;

I have dropped the plugin file CryExport14_64.dlu in my Plugins folder but when i try to change the shader from Blinn to CryShader Max crashes, every time. When i open max i get the box that said that it found the Cryengine root folder and that rc something is found.
    Any help here?
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Visceral wrote: »
    I thought i would finally get my thumb out of my ass and start learning the Cryengine SDK, but after many attempts i fail miserably.
    Im at the stage where i install all the plugins, I got the Crytiff working no problem but the CryExporter for Max 2012 X64 is giving me a issue that impare me from continuing.

TLDR;

I have dropped the plugin file CryExport14_64.dlu in my Plugins folder but when i try to change the shader from Blinn to CryShader Max crashes, every time. When i open max i get the box that said that it found the Cryengine root folder and that rc something is found.
    Any help here?

Sorry dude, I had the same problem. So I switched over to a Maya workflow =P Which is a little bit more tedious but at least it works.
  • doggett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does CryEngine allow you to animate the "Alpha Test" value over a particle's lifetime?

cryengine_particles_alphaTest.JPG

It doesn't have a roll-out curve like the standard alpha or size does.

I'd usually imitate it in Unreal with a custom shader (using either a vertex colour or a dynamic parameter animated over particle lifetime).

Edit: I'm wondering if there's a stencilled (masked) material type instead, then I'd just animate the alpha.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like I've seen a discussion about this before, but I can't find it on here and the Crytek sites are down still. But, when you physicalize a material(just Default), you get collision with whatever the material is on. We can also create our own collision geometry. My question is, how expensive is the Physicalize option? Do most people just set it to the Default and call it done? I was just messing around with Maya and the exporter to try and cleanup my CryEngine workflow and realized how simple it was to get the collision. Having the shader type in the material is also a benefit for Physicalizing, so it made me wonder if people Physicalize and create a custom collision mesh.

Also, anyway I can get my meshes named in CryEngine when I export them? Seeing "GeomEntity_#" is annoying. I'd rather have "Wall_#", "Light_Small_#", etc.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    not sure about the collision thing.

For the naming, I read that geomentity is a special thing (something to do with scripts), and for just normal static meshes you just use "brushes".
    And if you do that, it also automatically names the objects in the scene properly (so table_01 instead of geomentity).
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    not sure about the collision thing.

For the naming, I read that geomentity is a special thing (something to do with scripts), and for just normal static meshes you just use "brushes".
    And if you do that, it also automatically names the objects in the scene properly (so table_01 instead of geomentity).

When I started using the CryEngine, I don't think my mesh showed up in the Brush menu, but they did in the GeomEntity. I'll have to check that out again. Thanks!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart wrote: »
    When I started using the CryEngine, I don't think my mesh showed up in the Brush menu, but they did in the GeomEntity. I'll have to check that out again. Thanks!

Nope, my meshes doesn't show up in the Brush menu, only the Geom Entity. It may be where I've exported my meshes? They're all exported into the base folder for my level.

Two other things(I'm getting close to finishing my scene and getting really nitpicky)...

- Anyone encounter an issue with cubemaps basically moving/rotating with the camera? Mine were fine until I switched the environment probe to a Box Projection. Then, one day the reflections were flickering as I move. I switched it back to the original method and replaced it with a new probe, but the problem still continues. It looks okay for static shots with most angles, but it's something I'd like to figure out nonetheless for the future.

- Is there a good way to get color variation for a single mesh? I have a bunch of pipes that I'd like to have in different colors, but don't want to have to load a new texture for each one if I don't need to. Also when I apply a material to a mesh that wasn't exported out at the same time as the mesh, it's usually broken when I open up CryEngine again and have to reapply it. I've looked into coloring by vertices, but that doesn't seem to be too modular. Other people have suggested the Blend Layer option, but I can't figure out how that would work in this scenario. Considering posting this particular question on the CryDev Facebook since the forums are still down. :poly117:
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    leleuxart wrote: »
    - Is there a good way to get color variation for a single mesh? I have a bunch of pipes that I'd like to have in different colors, but don't want to have to load a new texture for each one if I don't need to. Also when I apply a material to a mesh that wasn't exported out at the same time as the mesh, it's usually broken when I open up CryEngine again and have to reapply it. I've looked into coloring by vertices, but that doesn't seem to be too modular. Other people have suggested the Blend Layer option, but I can't figure out how that would work in this scenario. Considering posting this particular question on the CryDev Facebook since the forums are still down. :poly117:

The best and most widely used way to do that without additional textures is vertex colors. Super easy, tons of tutorials on the web, recognized by CE3 without any additional setup required, and overall is very useful for other more advanced effects like vegetation bending setup and blend layers.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl wrote: »
    The best and most widely used way to do that without additional textures is vertex colors. Super easy, tons of tutorials on the web, recognized by CE3 without any additional setup required, and overall is very useful for other more advanced effects like vegetation bending setup and blend layers.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I ended up creating a 512 tileable diffuse, spec/gloss, and detail normal. The diffuse is almost pure white with a little bit of AO. I just made new materials for each color and used the same texture with variation in the DiffuseColor parameter. I tried Vertex Colors before, but it didn't really seem like it was as modular I guess. Wouldn't I have to have a new mesh for each color? Here's a picture from my set up (the red pipes were moved back to test an LOD, and the metal rings have their own 512 textures)

1091178_1403612576523824_2099574524_o.jpg

Also, to correct myself with an older post about brushes/geom entities for anyone looking through this, in order for a mesh to show up in the Brush menu, it has to be somewhere in the Objects folder(new folders inside of it is fine too). Geom Entities can be loaded from Level and the Objects folder. I guess whether or not you need the Geom Entity features, placing your meshes in the Objects folder is good practice since you can still use it as a Geom Entity if needed. Hopefully I understand this correctly, documentation is lacking and forum posts are usually outdated or just plain wrong. I've just been messing around with everything these last few days to get a better grasp on the engine while working on my environment.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate to keep posting questions in here, but I guess this beats a new thread every day. With CryDev down(and the wiki... again), it's pretty hard to find more answers.

But, does anyone know the proper grid settings in Maya for snapping in CE3? The wiki says 1 meter = 1 CE unit and that it's best to work in centimeters(the exporter also forces you to export from centimeters) so that's what I've been using the last few weeks. Maybe I'm getting the centimeter and meter numbers mixed up, but I can't get my grid to be of a useful scale and match CE's snapping grid.
  • gutty333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just curious has anyone had any troubles opening their content(map files) inside CE3 lately. I have been unable to open any of my maps.

The problem began to occur, when I recently started getting this message every time I log in

q8FevNR.jpg

This are the messages I get when I try to open a level

draWF9h.jpg

67NQY2v.jpg

@leleuxart.
    Hey for my setup I have grid lines set to 100 with a subdivision of 12. For me each division represent 3 inches inside Cryengine. The only issue I have is when exporting from the engine the objects appear too small inside Maya, but when I scale by 100 it matches my Maya grid. Also curious to know what other folks use, since I doubt mine is perfect.

Back to my post, I am wondering if my issue has anything to do with Crydev being down lately, now I cant even download a new version :poly127:
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to try out your grid settings. Thanks!

And that problem comes and goes with everything being down, at least for me. I've only had it happen twice during the outage. And my editor crashes everytime I close it. It never crashes until I press the X button
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Man with the lack of a dev forum and the editor login problems its sure hard to finish stuff. Hopefully they can straighten this out quickly I really dont want to have to port everything to UDK.