Home Technical Talk

textures from photos

i create textures from photos. i have taken over 200 reference photos to work with, and i posted some first results here:
http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=930491&postcount=2060
so far, i fix the photos perspective and transform them until they fit the geometry. but i have not worked on the colors yet. i'd like to achieve the polished look textures have in your work, but i'm still pretty new to all this, so any advice is welcome.

thank you!

as a reference, here is my latest texture:

http://vexator.bplaced.net/wall_04_final.jpg

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I looked at the post you linked. You are showing diffuse and normal maps. What about specular maps? That together with some sweet lighting is usually all you need to make it look good :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No spec? That really helps sell the material. Aside from the obvious graffiti scrawling off the side of the box nothing looks horribly wrong so far.

You might want to check out crazybump its pretty useful for doing things like this. But be careful what you feed it, it can go horribly wrong pretty quick if you start throwing raw diffuse textures in there without thinking what its going to do. For example the graffiti will get the treatment and become bumped and AO'ed, you probably don't want that.
  • vexator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your quick replies! i used crazybump to create these normal maps (not from the diffuse, though, from height maps). but it's not about normal/specular maps; i want to polish my diffuse maps first. i'm quite happy with the two i linked, but what i need i a general workflow how to process my raw images to get nice results.

my latest texture (the one i attached to my previous post) has not been edited yet apart from perspective correction etc. what i'm asking for is advice on how to work on my diffuse textures to give them a more polished, professional look. the way they are now, they still look like photos, and not game textures (to me, at least).
  • omegalith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not think your textures look like photographs, I see very little distortion in them. Also, it is good that your textures have neutral lighting.