Home Technical Talk

MAX going confetti on me

Ok, so I guess old Max has finally gone round the bend proper - I was UVing along quite happily with the latest TexTools when suddenly the UV window BG went white, vertices became unselectable and ever since, objects are rendered like this in the viewport windows:

[img]http://www.razkun.com/Stuff/Max confetti 01.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.razkun.com/Stuff/Max confetti 02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.razkun.com/Stuff/Max confetti 03.jpg[/img]

In wireframe view objects are basically being spastically replaced at random with "confetti"-colored shapes that flash around randomly on window redraw, and in shaded views either the "Edged Faces" rendering goes on and off randomly per object or entire meshes are torn apart momentarily while retaining their actual wires... Seems totally non-destructive, but I'm coming down with a bad case of epilepsy any minute now. Anyone ever seen this before? Reset XForms, Resets and reboots do nothing, all MAX viewport rendering seems corrupted... :( Any tips before I consider re-installing?

Replies

• sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    jesus christ!

first i'd try merging your model with a fresh blank .max file. if that doesnt work... i'd re install?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks sampson, that actually seems to work :)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    max is creating works of art for you =)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    some questions if you dont mind:
    do you have at least max9 or higher? - perhaps you have max8 and you tried functions that are not available for example from texTools ?. if you worked with TexTools on a modifier level try to delete that modifier and see if the garbage stilll remains. The way I wrote most of the texTool functions is that only changes are stored in the current or a new UVW-unwrap modifier.
    But perhaps you can tell us exactly what you did - like what functions you called ect. ? - and what the object was before (poly, mesh,... single mesh, multiple objects,...).

looking at the screens it seems that the vertex data is scrambled - or judging by the colors it seems that you have different objects (I assume it was 1 poly/ mesh before?).

Personally I have never seen something like that- there was a bug though in 3dsmax 2008/09 at which in some cases the editPoly object would look like garbage but as soon as you activate a modifier or reselect it (or somethiing like that) it would look ok. It was some kind of display error and not actually the object itself. Maybe someone else can give more information regarding this - though it did not looked like that.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Peris wrote: »
    max is creating works of art for you =)

dd..did he... did he find the make art button??
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) Make art button, now let's see, where the hell was it...?

Problem seems resolved by merging, even though resetting to scratch and just creating a standard box still had the problem present before... Using Max 9, editing UVs on an Editable Poly object, in conjunction with renderhjs' excellent tools :) Still getting the "white-out" when doing "select all" in vertex mode and then deselecting all, which makes the vertex mode permanently white... So right now that would be my main concern :) Either a max-bug or something in v9 that's not compatible with TexTools maybe?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I tested texTools a lot on max9 and I never experienced something like that, not even close. Can you post a screen of the UV editor which is white for you?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs: Just played around some more and found the glitch: for some reason the settings get changed so that in vertex mode the Unwrap Settings say "Solid Fill", which turns the whole thing white. No idea why anyone would want that, or why it is so :) Does TexTools fiddle with those settings at all?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yes it sets the fill render mode to solid fill, seems to be the culprit in your situation then- but why it then causes those display errors is a mystery to me.

just to be exact, sold fill render mode is always triggered if you open the UV editor with this button: ico_uv_editor_open.gif because I like that preference.
    I could compile you a version though without it so you can test it without that tiny feature
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I just remembered, I was using TexTools at work (Max 9) and the UV Edit window went white and unselectable, but only in Vertex mode. Edge and Poly were fine.

Didn't have time to try and see what fixed it, was right at the end of the day. I just thought Max had another of it's regular hissy fits.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    oh dear, will have to check that - thx guys for the input
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting back to my work this morning, it appears that it's broken the vertex mode in my UV Edit window, even after removing the script (although doing that fixed the white colours).

Essentially it means I can't select any verts in the UV Edit window.

It looks like it's permenantly got a UV vert selected that's always in the top-left of the window, no matter how far I zoom out (there's a vertex in my proper UVs that is highlighted to show it's a connected vert, which is odd... vert 281). I can select/deselect UV verts in the 3D viewport and then I can move them around in the Edit window, but I can't select/deselect in the Edit window.

Edge and poly mode both work as normal. Converting poly/edge selection to vertex will selected the correct verts (but the same problem with selecting/deselecting verts persists).

Dunno if that's useful for hunting down what's getting broken.

It appears to be an issue with the model's UVs rather than some settings somewhere. I've created a new scene and UV works fine on a box in that. If I merge and attach the model, it breaks again (same if I attach the box to the model).

More updates :) There were some polys on the model that weren't UVed. Detatching those, unwrapping them then re-attaching them seems to have cleared it up.
  • nicocabbalero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicocabbalero polycounter lvl 15
    UV Edit window went white and unselectable, but only in Vertex mode. Edge and Poly were fine.

i get this too but happened way before i started using textools
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    so I tested it on another computer with 3dsmax 9 EN without any updates or patches - and I can not reproduce the effect. Mind anyone of you giving me a *.max scene with the broken object?
    t appears to be an issue with the model's UVs rather than some settings somewhere. I've created a new scene and UV works fine on a box in that. If I merge and attach the model, it breaks again (same if I attach the box to the model).
    can you post me a model like that- or 3dsdmax scene ?

I have a vague memory about the mesh object type in 3dsmax that usually requires a enable UV per face before you can assign or modify related texture verts with it. But that should not have to do with my script as it is something max itself should cover. If I could reproduce the problem however I might get a fix with that by checking which faces have been defined ready for UV.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't send you the model that it happened on as it's NDA, but I'll have a go at replicating it in another file tomorrow.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    that would be nice- can be even a box or a teapod - just something that appears broken in your max version
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This happened to me in the past too, with max 8, it turned out that deleting all smoothing groups on the object cured the problem, further investigation revealed a mesh error - overlapping edges.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to replicate this as best I could but it doesn't seem to be working.

From what others have said, though, it seems to be an issue with Max that I stumbled on rather than something the script does.