Home Technical Talk

zAppLink with PSCS2?

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
Whenever I try to use zAppLink with Photoshop CS2, it either crashes Photoshop, or it opens the psd but the Layers palette doesn't work (no layers showing, not even a background layer) and if I try to save the file, it crashes Photoshop.

I looked around on Zbrush Central and found some other mentions of the same issue, but no solutions (unless I just missed them while searching). Has anyone here had this problem or found a workaround or solution?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm using it right now with CS2 and it's working fine...

Got all patches/updates installed for both PS and ZBrush? Got the latest version of ZAppLink (v3 I think).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I have v3 of ZAppLink and I just installed the latest CS2 patch (9.0.2) to see if that might fix it, but still no luck. I still have PS7 installed separately, so I tried linking it to that and it works fine. I tried adjusting the memory and file handling settings in CS2 to match what I had set up in 7, but that didn't do it either. But in the mean time, it is working with PS7, so I can just use that.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i dropped the use of Zapplink (V3 and latest version) because all what i paint in CS3, is translated distorted and FULL of horrible artifacts. With the version for Zbrush 2 i didn't have any problem with CS3 but it was impossible for me to find zapplink v2 in the internet.

I recently finished the texture of an old school model (all hand painted), and it was a pain in the ass to see my workflow totally broken by a stupid application, all due to Zbrush an its filthy and buggy plugin.

Software... they solve some bugs, they try to improve some features, and the unique thing they get, is to create more bugs and a worse version ¬¬

At least, i have learned something :D, for the next update in software i will verify they don't kill my workflow.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer - Im not sure what you're workflow is or what you are trying to paint on but if you are trying to paint on a "low-poly" object i.e importing your ingame mesh to fix some seams etc. then you need to subdivide the object a few times and then go into Zapplink.

Im not sure why as using Zapplink on a level 0 mesh worked fine in ZBRUSH2 but in ZBRUSH3 you need to subdivide a few times - you can subdivide with the SMT button turned off to keep the low poly edges and volumes of your original mesh and everything should work fine.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    My workflow for texturing models was dependand of Zbrush's Zapplink, i model and map in modo, and with Zbrush+Photoshop i do all the textures. I did the work very fast in that way, it was for me like illustrating. Now i cannot use all those fancy and cool pencils i have for photoshop :(.

I subdivided the low poly x2, but artifacts didn't dissappeared at all :(, it was really frustrating. Sometimes i needed to redo the work more than 5 times. At the end i dropped Zbrush, and i needed to use modo for painting (with its terrible limitations).

I searched pixologic forums, but nothing.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm - that's strange.

I can remember getting some really annoying artifacts when painting on the level 0 mesh but now I normally subdivide up to level 4 or so and paint from there. There are sometimes some minor artifacts now and again but nothing major.

Are you painting with perspective turned off before using Zapplink? There are sometimes problems when using Projection Master and Zapplink when in perspective mode but these are normally fixed when dropping back into "regular mode".
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    yes, i paint without perspective. At this point i suppose it must be something related with the version of photoshop i use, but i really don't know. Other people using ps7 works nicely.