Home Technical Talk

Poly Normal Problems.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
I am currently running Max 2008. Today I made a box, with the default light setup and did a 'Normals > Flip Normals'. I usually do this to start a room and begin pushing out hallways and whatnot. Today; the box turned black not letting me see inside. If I push the camera inside it is lit properly. I have changed my viewport setting and even my rendering/shading options in the preferences. The box 'renders' fine, but in the viewport the sides turn black and it is almost as if it is trying to 'force 2 sided' on all faces.

Placing a light in the scene near any of the faces lights them despite that they should not even be visible; further giving the unwanted 2 sided effect. :S

* I just found I can get back to the regular feel, per object, if I go into it's properties and check 'Backface Cull'; how do I do this per world, scene, or viewport (as I am normally used to)? I am not finding any options in the Preferences for that.

**Preferences/Viewports/(check) 'Backface cull on Object Creation'; I have no idea how this got turned off. It had to be on by default as I am used to its effects.

Thank you for all the past advice; though I solved this myself.:D