Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Travis & Belmondo

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hello everyone!

Here´s something I´ve been working on a while now.

This guy was going to be Travis (DeNiro in Taxi Driver), I liked him before, but now I see it didn´t come out that well. Anyway, here he is:

closeup-head.jpg
closeup-body.jpg
travis-sculpting.jpg
travis-aorender1.jpg
travis-diffuserenderwip.jpg
Textured - wip, sucks big time so far, but I´m going to - it´s really hard for me to say - use photos... For so long I´ve been trying to avoid that, but I´m going to cheat... I just hope it helps me to get better also at hand texturing (get the colours in the eye and stuff)

Jeans (also WIP) textured with technique described by Mashru Mishu (btw. thanks for that again, MM) HERE

Second character, based on Jean-Paul Belmondo in "The Professional". So far it´s quite WIP, but I´m very satisfied with the result:
belmondosculpting01-closeup-wip.jpg
belmondosculpting01-wip.jpg

I do have also a more recent update, so expect updates. Working on these two guys helped me to get faster at sculpting.

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    damn sexy pants man.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    Nice models,i like them alot.
    Could you post wires?
    One thing i noticed was that their hands look quite big.Or is this intentional?
    Also,his skin texture looks a bit like an undead,it could use more saturation.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy - thanks. yeah, I´ve been trying to make the pants a little eyecatcher, because his anatomy isn´t that much interesting and so far there´s no jacket on him, no other equipment...

movento - here are som wires for you... I would like to make nice render with wires over normal mapped model (it would help the presentation a lot), but I´m not quite sure how (I´m using Max). Actually, I´ve been also searching some tutorials and stuff, but nothing that would fit my requirements. As for the hands - yep, I noticed that when I was sculpting and I wanted to fix that. But somehow I figured that there are more issues than the hands. Mostly the textures that really suck, so I´d like to fix that first. You´re right about the saturation, I´ll be texturing it all over again from scratch - using photos as well, altough I don´t like it (I still think about using photos as about cheating or crime against art...), I will try to use simpler lighting while texturing,... too many things to do with that guy.
    travis-wires.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Really nice man! The sculpt is great! I have to agree about the texture work, and his legs seem a tad bit too straight and stiff, but that's probably just my PO.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Firebert! I guess that some posing could help the legs. I´ll keep it in mind when I´ll be doing some beauty shots (hopefuly it´ll be soon. it´s not that great model, but it´s soooooo close to being done). Thanks.

BELMONDO UPDATE!!!
    belmondosculpting02-wip.jpg
    Hair and pants to be detailed, belt, shirt and leather jacket to be done.
  • Ben_Flex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Flex polycounter lvl 14
    I like the models, de niro and belmondo are very recognizable.

I am not used to see blemondo so serious, but "the professional" is a sad movie after all.
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    damn sexy pants man.

haha yea i agree on that one.clear.gif
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Flex - Thank you! I´m glad you recognized them and I hope you´ll enjoy also this progress on Belmondo. At first I was surprised to read that you (being French, right?) are "not used to see belmondo" because he´s very popular in here and Czech Republic, but then I read further to "so serious"... Yep, The Professional is rather sad/serious movie. It sure isn´t as filled with jokes as "FLIC OU VOYOU" (I don´t speak french, I just read original name from the DVD cover :) ), but it´s got its funny moments too. Btw. I´m going for the way he looked like in that shoot-out scene with Rosen (Robert Hossein), so leather jacket is next on the to do list.

fast1 - Whatever works for you, guys :)

Belmondo Update:
    belmondosculpting03-1-wip.jpg
    belmondosculpting03-2-wip.jpg
    belmondosculpting03-3-wip.jpg
    belmondosculpting03-4-wip.jpg
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and:
    Turnaround on Vimeo:
    thumb-belmondosculpting03-vimeoturnaround-wip.jpg?w=100&h=120
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    My god ghost... you've gotten incredibly good man!
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, Jason! I have to laugh when I look at my older models (edward scissorhands, hellchick...). Yep, progress is one thing and I sure have put lots of sweat in that, but it seems that it also takes a little more to get a job.

Now I´m trying to concentrate on my DomWar entry, so expect new character here soon. Actually, very soon - 10 days left to the end of the war (being pacifist myself it´s funny to complain about war ending so soon :) ).
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work dude, the sculpts are exceptional. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the likeness but very realistic non the less.