Home Technical Talk

need engine advice

Greetings minasan, I have been lurking for a short time, ill have some arts up soon for peeps to get a feel of what im about. but for now, I need help from those of you who are more experienced.

I am working on a demo that will show basic mechanics for a future MMO. I dont need an actual MMO engine at this time, one has been chosen for the future, however, this project is in the planning phase and we cant get the licence for the engine with no funding. I need to be able to modify the interface more than anything, and It should be able to support next gen features like normal and spec maps.

ANY input or questions welcome.

arigatou

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    pretty much any recent engine souts your needs but for preview issues, using c# with xna should work, even tough its a framework and not really an engine
  • morrisgunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sort of looking for something I can customize to look like its doing what I want without having to code it from the ground up, after all, that's the meat and potatoes of the project once it go's into production.

for a specific demonstration I need the ability to have at least two people playing at the same time.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have been running tests with DX Studio at my work. Right now we are still experimenting to see if it will do what we need it for, but I can say that there are tons of 'presets' for it that you can make look like about anything. We are also waiting on funding, but for our initial tests have been very promising. So far we have set up a few virtual tours, and a basic 'second life' style environment, and the interfaces were very easy to customise for both applications.

-N
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi morriskun,
    you may want to take a look at this thread, about "inexpensive / open source game engines", with a lot of useful info.
  • morrisgunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arigatou syncsan that's verry helpful, ill bookmark that thread.