Home General Discussion

Zbrush 4 coming august 2009 :)

Replies

• tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    ' . . . access those tools quickly and in a workflow friendly way can be just as important '

yeah. you dicks. it certainly can be. now please drop your bullshit marketing rhetoric and implement all the fucking steam you talk
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I have never once had a problem with the workflow or interface, so quit complaining.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i'm not complaining about the workflow... i love zbrush... 3.1
    3.5 is really damn buggy... there's too many hiccups, and instead of just quietly releasing R3 with just fixes to the current release, they flaunt new additions instead. now i don't know if they actually tweaked issues with the current release (i couldn't even finish watching it from the constant buffering annoyance), they very well could have fixed a ton, but that should have been the focus, not adding more tools upon tools upon tools... save that for 4.0, and make sure the software actually works the way they say it should before releasing it... it is a free update, and i am not complaining about that. any company that releases free updates to their customers is a star in my book, but they buckle under end user pressure in an ever imploding cave they tunneled themselves because of their constant marketing teasers.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Joopson wrote: »
    I have never once had a problem with the workflow or interface, so quit complaining.

ha ha. i have to assume you're taking the piss. and well
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I'm good with what I have. I saw no reason to go to R3 in that video whatsoever. Maybe a brush or two would be nice, but otherwise, doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Here's a drinking game, every time they use the word "powerful" drink a beer. You'll die of alcohol poisoning before the end of any promo vid for pixologic.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I didn't even get Zbrush 3.5 yet because I knew it would be buggy. I'm waiting to get Zbrush 4.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    As long as it adds the functionality back in that was removed from the latest version (most notably the ability to import meshes over the top of existing ones without obliterating detail on higher subdiv levels), it'll be well worth while.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3.5 isnt that buggy exept for the middle axis line on meshes thats a royal pain in the ass.
    Must say tho that i never had crashes with 3.5 which i find pretty refreshing
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    they do talk about artist centric workflow and stuff quite a bit, I have to assume by artist they mean some cooky surrealists or something :P
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    New update looks pretty solid, I guess i'm not going to complain about them adding new features. I mean it's a shit ton better than most other software developers, especially since ZB gets free upgrades.

I mean you could sit around and complain about the "different" workflow/UI that's been relatively the same for what... 5 years now? I mean seriously, Zbrush is Zbrush when it comes to UI, isn't complaining about it kind of an old hat now? It also seems kinda lame when you see people creating amazing art with it. Maybe I'd see the point of complaining if nothing but crap was coming out.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Honestly the UI is what it is, it's fine. It's just that some completely backwards workflows still remain. Like the subtools hide unhide, some tricks to know when doing polypainting, basically tons of little things that you really don't want to forget between sessions. It simply is counter intuitive in many cases...

Fantastic additions tho. If the booleans and gap filler tools really are working, its a big, BIG thing !
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I see your point JordanW but I dont think its old hat there are still issues like pior mentions but what really annoys me is marketing saying its artist focused when I dont see alot of artists excited about the UI or workflow.

I think people will only stop complaining when pixologic realise that what theyve been doing for the past 5 years is ignoring some important workflow issues.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who's using 3.5 in a production environment?
    just curious
    the ui is fine... sheesh
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Firebert, take a break dude... the UI is just fine as it is. I'd hate if they changed a UI with 4 or 5 years old. They already changed the navigation system on 3.5 for worse. learn it or move to mb.

This is actually a great update, bringing back the old plugins which was the weakest point on r2, subtool master, transposer master, zapplink. I'm just getting lost with all the new brushes, I'm still on the standard+flatten+claytubes era...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    JordanW wrote: »
    I mean it's a shit ton better than most other software developers, especially since ZB gets free upgrades.

This. Can anyone name a single other software developer who handles updates the way Pixologic does? They get huge props from me for that, and I'm not even an avid ZBrusher.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Firebert wrote: »
    who's using 3.5 in a production environment?

It's installed on my current workstation -_-
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i hated zbrush interface for about a week, now its fine you it feels right to me. i dont know for sure but i would guess zbrush is more widespread in the game industry than mudbox. but again just a guess on what i've seen and heard. and witht he current free updates i would buy it in a cinch for my company (if i had one)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I love the new stuff. 3.5r2 is on my rig right now. I stopped using mudbox because of zbrush and just adapting to its workflow. I actually find it quite enjoyable now.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW: well aren't you just mr. fancy pants :P r2? or did you guys get r3?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a somewhat amateur, and -I- find the ZB UI to be useable. It's not some impenetrable barrier keeping purty stuff just out of your reach or something.