Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling a Human hand in Maya

Hi, this is my time posting here at Polycount, been reading/viewing for a while though and thought I'd ask for some tips or possibly links to some tutorials on really good ways to model a hand (in this case, using Maya).

I'm a 3ds Max whore so I still haven't familiarized myself with Maya completely, which is the focus of a class I'm taking right now (this being an assignment).

Below are two quick hands I've modeled in 3ds Max; no real detail but just trying to show some sort of thought-process hopefully (Yeah I know the thumb in the first model is waaay too small, as well as them not being 100% quads :)) :
hand.jpg

This should be done completely in Maya so no Zbrush or Mudbox this time. Thanks!

Replies

• Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there.
    good work so far, there are just one or two things that I would say:

the four finger (not including the thumb) are a bit too long, and the phalanx (I'm not sure this is the right word...] are too long too.
    the index is generally a bit shorter than the ring finger, they seem of the same length on your work.
    The palm is a bit too thin, and the hand looks a bit flat, especially near the ankle region.
    The extra edges for the articulations seems fine to me.
    The nails are ok.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    personally I think also the hand is too flat. You need to have it relaxed with bent fingers and some curve to the palm.

As for tutorials I found this tutorial way back and I personally think it's the best way to make a hand.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mExXURsWk[/ame]

you can find the images he uses on his website.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    s0id3 is correct. One of the most common mistakes when modeling hands is to place the thumb on the side when in reality it wraps underneath at an angle.

Hand-Sanded-Stained-Interior.jpg

Ben Mathis has a really good tutorial on his site you should check out. He explains this in detail with a simple example. (checkout low poly character series: Modeling the Hand): http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm
    Good luck!
  • AtomicBetty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're off to a good start. The only thing I can tell you, and I cannot stress it enough is to study your own hand. Your hand is the best reference you have.
    Good luck! Hope to see some updates soon!