Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Chemical Spill

Hello everyone.

I'm working on a 3D Assignment at the moment, I'm planning on creating a chemical spill which will have a radioactive insect crawling through it. I've learned a lot over the last few months, our tutor is really great at explaining how everything works. But I've only really just got into 3D, so I was hoping you guys could offer some criticism or maybe some suggestions, on what I've done so far, the chemical barrels.

ClaytonBarton-BugSceneConceptSketch.jpg
Here's what I'm working toward.

3DChemicalBarrel01-ByClaytonBarton.jpg

3DChemicalBarrel02-ByClaytonBarton.jpg

3DChemicalBarrel03-ByClaytonBarton.jpg

3DChemicalBarrel04-ByClaytonBarton.jpg

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    do you have reference for that type of barrel? They look nothing like the concept. might want to reconsider the material its made of too. looks like concrete.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    no offence but it looks like a coca can for me.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    vofff wrote: »
    no offence but it looks like a coca can for me.

what... because its a cylinder?
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    nah...its the silhuette the third picture looks like coca can anyway.
  • BuCC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should be more true to your concept. They read better as toxic barrels to me. The lids have a nice design, so keep those, but make them smaller so they fit into the openings of the concept barrels.

The toxic waste itself could have a lot more form I think. Add a bit of geometry to make it feel thicker and get more substance.

That's my 2 cents anyhow. GL with your project.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    hey dude, nice concepts, but the 3d is falling a bit short. It's just not like your concept. I would suggest extruding the bits that go around the body of it instead of beveling them inward like you did on your 3d version. I do agree that it looks a bit like a coke can--but simply changing the silhouette to be more like your concept would remedy this. Also maybe make the colors a little less vibrant, so that your eye is more concerned with the overall appearance of the barrel rather than the center logo.

anway nice start, But You should probably make some adjustments to the 3d part---and as others have mentioned concentrate on creating a metal look to your material--instead of a concrete look

Keep up the work dude,
    later
  • Martin_Ocejo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with what everyone else said, it doesn't resemble the concept at all.

You should be trying an approach similar to this:barrel.jpg

That's just a quick example, but you'll want to really define those round loops a lot more for a better profile, at least that's my opinion. Hope it helps.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Martin_Ocejo: Heh, I like how you say "you'll want to really define those round loops a lot more for a better profile", yet in your example image you have 4 whole edge loops (the mid-sections around the 2 central bump outs) which don't change the profile at all - they're essentially flat!
  • Imogia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree also with the others saying that the material needs more work.
    But about the barrels, I'm splitted. It's true they does not look like the concept, but the way did them, it make the overall picture more realistic.
    In the concept, the barrels give a kind of retro style (nothing bad about this)or like what I've seen in some comics, and after looking at your render I thought "hey that's right, radioactive stuff should better be confined in huge things like that "
    Well, if you see what I mean, choosing to keep your first model, or doing another one that fits the concept, it gives two different directions to your work, it's up to you.

I also think that the spill may be a bit flat, but perhaps this is due to the fact that you didn't have a floor yet? I like the texture itself.
    Maybe adding spill on the border of the open barrel, too? well it's just my opinion, I can't help thinking about TMNT and the radiactive stuff is like "slime" :)
    I also like the dirty texture on the barrels!
  • clayton_barton
    Thanks for the feed back guys, I really appreciate it.

A lot of you agree that the model really isn't true to the concept. I agree with that point, and I did create a barrel similar to what is depicted in the concept (I'll upload a screen of it later), but for now here's a bit of an explanation as to why I modeled the barrel the way I modeled it. I personally thought it looked a bit creche' so I decided to go with something which looked a bit more original. The concept was also a reference used largely for the layout of the scene, and for symbols I might use on the chemical barrel. That's why they look so generic, at the time I wasn't looking at it being a final design.

I'll definitely try to fix up that texture to make it look more like it's made of steel, and tone down the saturation a bit.

I'm in class at the moment, but I'll post again shortly with some screens of the first barrel.

Thanks again everyone.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    The thing is, people don't make original barrels. They invented a good design and they stay with it. Barrels need to be physically symetrical top to bottm because they are often stacked. The rings arround the barrel are used for rolling them manually, inverting them would make the barrel more difficult to maneuver.

The texture on the barrels doesn't really read as flacking chipped paint, the specular seams too regular. I would up it on areas that see more impact (raised areas) and lower it to read as old paint elseware.