Home Technical Talk

HTC Dream 100 (G1 android handheld) modelling

dactilardesign
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dactilardesign polycounter lvl 10
Hi mates.
I am modelling for this handheld device with a Qualcomm 528Mhz CPU and ARM9 core. The models will be in a OpenGL ES envirenment.
I have experience on modelling for Nintendo DS, but not for this kind of devices. I guess is more and less the same, low poly and small textures, but as low as NDS, true?
Are there hardware limitations like in DS such as "no more than 2000 triangles in screen". Wich is the max texture size?
I am trying to get more info from the costumer, like if it's the only model to be shown at the screen... we lack in communication fluency :P

Please, help me you you can :)
thank you!

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Just ask your programmer - or just the guy who wrote the engine. It TOTALLY depends on how that engine was written - what it can access (e.g hardware, classes,...) and how big the screen of the hardware is.
    Maybe your engine has unique features that either boost or drain some areas and because engines are all the same I would suggest to ask that developer.

And if he does not know or you can't reach him make some stress tests and go like 70% or 80% of the limit of them just to be sure in case anything changes in the development or gets added.
  • dactilardesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dactilardesign polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds like a good advice. So it depends more on the engine than the hardware limitations. Thank you.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    that's what I think in general, and besides that it's also the first place to look for answers. Like I said I think that all your questions can be answered by the programmer who developed and tested the engine on that device.
    Maybe be a bit more specific which engine you use or if the engine is developed specifcly for that project or device.