Home General Discussion

yarr mateys, how many of yer polycounters be pirates?

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    dejawolf wrote: »
    right, because that would deny assets for that construction business.
    instead of the guy who rightfully owned the tools, you have them.
    thats wrong.

Well, would it be ok if I cloned/copied/replicated the tools? He'd still have his set, and so would I.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    JesterBox wrote: »
    Kinda like stealing cookies out of someone's cookie jar with an infinite amount of cookies in it.

It's mostly because of this, the reason that most stealing/borrowing metaphors don't really make sense. Piracy is a completely different problem and should be viewed/dealt with as such.

Don't ask me how though, cause I've got no idea.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    I don't think it can be dealt with. At all.

Any amount of laws won't help. It's already illegal, people don't care. If people really want to do something, they will do it. Hell, people walk around murdering each other even if they know they'll get thrown in jail for life for it.

So far the only plausible way of dealing with it that I've seen is to rival the convenience of piracy with other, legal methods. Like how whichever news article talked about Pirate Bay mentioned, there's the Swedish music service Spotify. I have no freaking clue how it works. You register for free, download a program that lets you search for artists within the program, and if they've got any songs up you can listen to them for free. Some artists have their entire discography available for free. I don't get it.

But that certainly makes me use my illegally downloaded mp3s less.

Another thing is what services like Xbox Live are doing. The Live Arcade has a bunch of junk that's exclusive to there, and as far as I know there's no way to share it. You have to pay for Microsoft points beforehand to even get the option to download it. If one could manage something like that for PC, that'd help a lot. But even with things like Steam exclusive titles, people find ways to tear it away from Steam, crack it and put it up for download, stand-alone. I'm sure there's some clever way to force people into getting it legally... like requiring you to be online to even play it.

But that's also not something I'd like to see. If my connection goes down, I take comfort in single player games while the 'net is unavailable to me. And if those games required online authentification every time I'd wanna play, that'd suck.

But my point is, you can't deal with piracy. It's here, and it'll stay. You can try to work around it, but don't try to attack it. It won't do anyone any good.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 wrote: »
    This applies double to new users who dont even know what features they need and assume that the magic 'make my stuff awesome' button is hidden somewhere in only the most expensive and full featured software.

I am assuming there is this button in Maya?

:)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For 6 large I can sell you this button. It works as intended, in all apps!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Do what you gota do to get where you can be legit. In the mean time, step on as few toes as you can and try not to make noise.

I find these questions redundant. Its like putting up a fight for someone elses wallet that was stealing from yours. senseless.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Quokimbo wrote: »
    I am assuming there is this button in Maya?

:)

Yes but it costs extra.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    fuckit, i'll be honest.

just about every copy of 3dsmax i have, was pirated. so was zbrush, and most photoshops.

my parents bought photoshop years ago but wouldn't upgrade so i pirated the newer version, i bought a student license for max, and then discreet wouldn't let me extend it, so i pirated from then on.

that said, ALL the audio software i own, is paid for. the moment i started making music and making money from it, i paid for the equipment, and i'll do the same with 3d, if i make it big in this industry, i'll gladly pump money into the companies that are helping my career.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    I used a pirated version of 3dsmax 4 back in the days.

It crashed so often. It wouldn't be worth a penny but I was happy with it.

If you start to make money with it. Start buying it!
    Thats my opinion.