• jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Work, Wiktor.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, your high poly work here is very well done! I can't wait to see the low poly and textures.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful, Awesome work! Nice detail on the scope and on the end of the barrel, great presentation too!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks great man, nice work.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you guys! Glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback on the highpoly! :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm curious to see how are you going to do the LP for this! :) Make sure you finish this one, it's looking pretty nice! good luck.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    this is why I don't post gun models. :D Fucking gun nazi's... Good work. :)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    maaan i love snipers and that one looks pretty cool. personally i think the scope a bit to huge :P

Dekard: hehe your right, all those "it had to be perfectly like that... look how it is functional with that piece and ... and ... and..." :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting people to think about good thoughtful real world, functional design isn't really a bad thing. It's one thing to make something that looks badass, and its another to make something badass that's functional.

As someone who continually cleans up messes of people who don't ever think about motion or function I have to say its kind of nice when someone does take it all into account.

AD: Why doesn't this do XYZ?
    Animator: It wasn't modeled to do that.
    AD: Kick it back or fix it yourself, either way it needs to do XYZ.
    Animator: So mr modeler you need to fix your model.
    Modeler: I can't, I'm too busy glazing my balls in caramel.
    Animator: Yea hi honey I'm going to be late again I have to redo a bunch of candy nuts work.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    oh damn Vig now im feeling bad. lot of edits :D yeah your are surely right but i read "gun nazi's" and thought about people which want to have it incredible correct hrhr. Its better when i shut up :), i feel bit sick today so excuse am off ;(
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I don't have a problem at all with real world functional designs in any way, if this was a production house it would have hopefully been kicked back in the concept stage instead he grabbed a concept he liked and modeled it to the concept very well. This is polycount. :) But yes I agree, sucks having to fix other peoples work.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, as long as it looks cool... right?
  • torontoanimator
    Im really liking this rifle :) the only real critique i can give is that it really doesnt have that real feeling to me, it looks really really artificial. I think if you textured it you could make it look way more realistic, great job though!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    One tiny nit-pick - you've got a seam running halfway through the casing of each round, that makes the bullet look kind of odd - you might want to remove that seam so the round looks more like a regular round. Adding that seam there makes the shell look a lot less solid.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    it does look bitchin'- aside from the practicality points that have been mentioned and argued. :D
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, great modeling, though the guns functionality and concept make absolutely no sense..
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    I have to agree with sOid3. This is a nice model but functionality of the weapon is not believeable. I dont see how the bullets are getting to the barrel from the back of the gun like that. But non-the less good job
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Blah, functionality has been beaten to death on this gun already, move on.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Fuctionality was 'beaten to death' in the first place by the great design. This gun is a great concept, that's the bottom line. Remember EQ's gun with the ejection slot facing 45 degrees the wrong way?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya. seriously... who gives a damn if it doesn't make sense. it looks cool. the whole gun nut attitude is a headache. Try giving him some useful crits or comments instead of showing off your gun knowledge uberness/douchebaggery. :)

ne ways, my only crit is the flat metal connecting the scope looks a tad thin compared to the concept. But overall its a pretty good job. hope to see this finished and textured. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Exactly. Nobody gives a shit if someone knows how the name of every pin and spring in a gun. No one is going to impressed; scared, yes, but not impressed.

How many tris you aiming for with this Disting? I say do it justice and go for 10K (or more).
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    How many tris you aiming for with this Disting? I say do it justice and go for 10K (or more).
    I'm aiming for 11'000. :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Speaking of which, without wanting to go too much OT here, what's the average poly count for a weapon on this gen's games? Like Crysis and UT3?
    (On screen weapons, not level items or enemies weapons)

Just asking, cos damn, 11k sounds alot to me!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    it's funny how feverishly people will hate on logical gun design critiques when everyone is happy to jump on messed up anatomy, broken limb deformation, or muddy sculpting forms. I fail to see how this is any different.

It's not like this is a caricature of a gun, no one would complain about the functionality of the gun(s) from Earthworm Jim or Metal Slug because they are presented in a fiction-first (and also cartoony) fashion.

This gun is presented in a realistic fashion - attempting realism with shapes, rendering, object construction etc, as well as presumably materials/textures next; so it only seems logical to expect it to continue to conform to realistic design as well.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice hi poly work flow here,i kinda doubt the barrel design,usually barrels are lengthier in sniper rifles,is nt it? and the bullets are not really matching the barrel there i guess.

Vj
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Sandbag wrote: »
    it's funny how feverishly people will hate on logical gun design critiques when everyone is happy to jump on messed up anatomy, broken limb deformation, or muddy sculpting forms. I fail to see how this is any different.

It's not like this is a caricature of a gun, no one would complain about the functionality of the gun(s) from Earthworm Jim or Metal Slug because they are presented in a fiction-first (and also cartoony) fashion.

This gun is presented in a realistic fashion - attempting realism with shapes, rendering, object construction etc, as well as presumably materials/textures next; so it only seems logical to expect it to continue to conform to realistic design as well.

Honestly, outside of the revolver cylinder spewing hot gasses all over your armpit/cheek, which is a conceit I think everyone is cool with making, I don't see what the issue is. The big complaint to make with any gun is making sure the ejection port, ammo feed, and barrel all line up, and it looks like they do, or at least well enough from a FPS perspective.

I think gun anatomy crits are valid but there isn't anything about the design that looks like bad anatomy.
  • CerealDemon1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice work
    i like the design as well
    Its very unique