Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Octo-Grenade

Hey all!

Making a weapon for Unreal, an octpus-themed hand bomb for a pirate-themed mod. Concept is not mine.

Messed about building some high-poly from Max, it's about ready for ZBrush I think. C&C welcome!
crakenbomb.jpg
bomb1z.jpg

Replies

• se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you left out the webbing between the tentacles which i think are very cool...and the octopus is very stiff looking compared to the concept...but overall i think your version is pretty solid...looks like a more structured, manufactured version
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    the modeling looks good, you should post it without the wire as well.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that textures are whats going to make this really shine. Im picturing really pretty hand-hammered brass metals, with cast-iron main body pieces. I agree with the webbing, but thats probably something your going to do in zbrush. Cool concept tho, and pirate themed Unreal sounds like a lot of fun!

Just found this online - this is sort of what Im picturing looking at the concept in terms of materials:
    flat-sundial-patina-leapingfrog-1.jpg

-N
  • Foxious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, Mechadus. That reference shot will help alot

Regarding the webbing, I had thrown in the shapes for it, but found I transferred the wrong file. They're mostly going to be zbrushed, however.

Do you think I should try to make it more like the concept, or do you prefer the manufactured-ness of mine?

here's the file without wires
    octobombclean.jpg
  • Foxious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, it's been a while I know. Just moved to Vegas, so packing and unpacking my system has made work difficult, but I'm finally able to get back to work. I spent a few hours zbrushing the octopus, here's my results so far. Any changes you 'counters can recommend before I start going into smaller details?

octobomb.th.jpg
    octobomb2.th.jpg
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Looking pretty good Phil, I think it's good to go for zbrush. Though I to wonder what exactly the grenade is made(types of metals I suppose), but the metal plates come off as looking like a peeled orange.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work so far. One of the main things I like about the concept is how organic it all looks. I like how He's sort of smushed down holding on looking worried. Therefore, I think you should get a little looser with the sculpting, try to make it more organic by making it not so perfect. It would also be cool if you strayed away from the concept a bit and made the tentacles not symmetrical. If they were curling around in a random fashion it would add a lot of interested I think. Good job, and keep going!