Home General Discussion

Half Life 2 - What was the big deal?

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Mechadus wrote: »
    I guess its like Broccoli or anal - either you like it or you dont.

-N

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

this made my f*kin day
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    for the UK, the orange box is £5.66 this weekend (via steam)

i've also got a free copy of Episode 1 if anyone wants it
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it's $9.99 over here, and I can't buy it because Paypal's checking for the undiscounted price ($29, I've got $20 in my Paypal account). Anyone care to lend a hand?
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, you know, I never got past the fact that Steam was dreadful for people on dial up. UPGRADING IS OBLIGATORY.
    So I dropped playing HL2 and whinged a lot.

May have to go back and give it another go.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    not sure why, but i now seem to have 2 extra copies of episode 1, and one of episode 2. PM me if you want them, not sure if it has to be UK only though
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I tried getting into half life 2 when it first came out, but 2 things stopped me from enjoying it. Numero one, I was one of the unfortunates, who got seasick, and migraines after ten minutes of game play. That really sucked, cause I wanted to enjoy it really bad. The other thing that kept me from liking it was, I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried. And I did try.

I pushed through the seasickness, and migraines, and kept playing. Then when it hit xbox, I thought, maybe they changed it, and I can play it on the xbox and not get sick. But I still got sick. And still didn't like the gameplay. I just didn't care about anything going on. I didn't care about the characters, the world, anything. It was really hard for me to give a shit about any of it.

I get why other people like it, I guess it's just not for me.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, you know, I never got past the fact that Steam was dreadful for people on dial up
    Hehe. Steam was dreadful for everyone when it first came out :(
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i absolutely hated steam when it first came out cause i had a cracked version of counterstrike. a lot of people did. then i learned to love it.

the reason i stopped playing half life 2 halfway through was because it was too scary. hahah :)

PS. get garry's mod. things the shit.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I remember hating stupid steam when it came out, I think that may have finally cured my CS addiction actually. I played from Beta 5.2 onward, but started to lose interest the more commercial it got. I played a couple rounds of de_dust2 a few months ago with some coworkers and it was a great nostalgia trip. I was also top of the team within a couple of rounds: it's like riding a bike!

This thread put the idea of buying orange box on PC in my head, and I couldn't pass up last weekends $9.99 offer. I only ever got to play the orange box on my 360 originally (blasphemy, I know) since I just had my macbook pro at the time. I'm enjoying HL2 way, way more now on PC, it just feels so much more natural (and way easier!). I've decided I'm going to love HL2 at least two or three times as much to make up for some of you haters.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    leilei wrote: »
    Well, basically:
    - the CINEMATIC experience!
    - GRAVITY GUN!!! OMG revolutionary! Along with your just-as-revolutionary smg (machinegun #1),pulse rifle (machinegun #2) shotgun, grenades (this time they ROLL for REAL), crowbar, pistol (pistol #1), magnum (pistol #2), rpg and crossbow. Hornet gun? Egon gun? Gauss gun? Satchels? pft who needs those, they require timing and thinking.
    - DX9 reflective water! THIS IS DONE RIGHT! I mean just one water surface!
    - Real lifelike facial expressions and lip sync!
    - EASIEST most versatile engine ever! (This is press hype, it's actually one of the worst pipelines to work with lately. Thanks to the hype of the engine we have a load of dead 'blah some ip: Source' mods that can't find artists or coders.)
    - INSTANT LOAD TIMES (more press hype)
    - ALYX the most iconic VIDEO GAME WOMAN to hit the history of video gaming
    - the only game where you play THE ONE FREE MAN which is better than master chief, jack carver, doomguy, and all those wannabes like master chief.
    - Valve made it, they made half-life and they "made" counter-strike so everything they make is gold!!
    - not only that but the engine is WRITTEN from SCRATCH! (a silly lie from e3 2003, still inherits quake code such as most of the bsp format, player physics, etc)
    - no HL2DM (at the time), but a remade Counter-Strike as CS:Source so it's BEST THING SINCE SLICED BRED!
    - HL: Source with Silver/Gold editions puts detail texture, ragdolls and SHINY WATER in Half-Life!
    - NO BUGS WHATSOEVER! (hyped at release. mmm audio stutters, validations, clipping errors, and sounds getting stuck oh my. there's still some fatal bugs in the current version too.)

note, the above is 2004 talking, and how things were percieved at the time. It really took away from the spotlight of Far Cry, UT2004 and Doom3 (ugh PC GAMER review score gauging)

hl2:lost coast, hl2:ep1, portal and hl2:ep2 are also hyped more than its worth, the only recent valve product that deserves the recognition is TF2 IMO

leilei... leilei never changes...
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Hehe. Steam was dreadful for everyone when it first came out :(
    I still think Steam is the devil.