Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo-Style Props

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
Last week I decided to do a little brush-up hand-painted work - it's been a little while! I love the style of Diablo 3, so I chose to do a couple props in that universe. Here's what I came up with:

3d5.jpg

Please feel free to be honest - I'm always happy to hear good solid critiques. Thanks!

**For some reason my sig isn't showing up ?? --probably belongs in another thread.

EDIT: added a rainbow -- it's a natural phenomenon. Thanks Autocon.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very very nice! Lovely and sharp, great smart texture use too. I am a fan!

Your sig seems to work fine here? If you're referring to images I think they're not allowed, just text sigs.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the praise MoP. Now it's showing up after I relogged a couple times, weird stuff!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    fantastic hand painted textures

needs more rainbow though
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    wow, Im working on a fountain for a ut3 mod and I am inspired by you!! I think my fountain is going to change, if you dont mind... just a bit of reference! :P
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, I wish I knew how to paint like that... Love the small bubbles as alphas, nice detail touch!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice! like the color variation you added in there with the greens blues and yellows. Nice rainbow and all too, but where are the unicorns. I mean REALLY.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is beautiful work.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Did you REALLY have to go their with the rainbow :P

Lovey stuff mate. Fountain looks drinkable!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the rainbow kills it,- otherwise nice texture work. There seem to be quite a few faces wasted also some of the triangle counts are imo a bit high compared to what the wireframe shots intend to shape and define of the object.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    very nice hand painted textures. wish i could do it as good as u.
  • Mando Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mando Magic polycounter lvl 11
    Really.....REALLY great stuff. These are works of art. Do you paint at a higher resolution and then scale it down? Or do you paint at the resolution listed? Also, how do you get such awesome color variation? Overlays? Again....really great job. It's nice to see a change from all the rusted & grimey photo sourced textures.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll experiment more with painted textures... though not as many jobs prefer this skill over more realistic approaches.

shrew81: Reference away man.

moose: lol, now i have to add unicorns!!

what's true: The drinkable water idea came from the d2 'well', although I'm not sure if it goes with a fountain. I'll leave it for now.

renderhjs: I see the excess poly's, I wasn't worried about this at the time, but it's something I have to be more scrupulous about.

Mando: I occasionally paint at higher resolutions. In this work, only the cloth deal and the skull were painted at higher res, simply because I was having fun with them. I don't really have a technique in that sense.

Again, with the colors, sometimes I paint grey-scale and then color it up afterwards. Sometimes I paint on one layer, like with the rug cloth thing. Using many layers generally has a more clean, methodical look, whereas you can get more dynamics working with the colors on one layer.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Looks sweet. I want to steal your brain.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Inspirational stuff, always nice to see when people paint textures.
    A few quick suggestions:
    The green and purple cloud texture you have as a overlay is not working for me, it look too much like shitty dxt compression. Try to change the colors to something that matches the surface a bit more.
    The way you have uved the water makes it very tricky to scroll in the shader if you ever would want to animate it.
    The extra uv space on the table texture could be used to add some unique detail, maybe a big chunk of wood missing somewhere, some stain decals, very dark and subtle blood, maybe a couple of drop of candlewax if you don't want to add that to the tabletop texture. Or possibly blobshaped highlights from the candle flames.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great use of color! Top notch stuff.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, man. The only nit-picky thing that bothers me is the skull. Even though Diablo is somewhat stylized, the skulls in their artwork are still realistically proportioned.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome stuff mam
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't seen a good painted texture since I found the wc3 image extractor tool, at least not until I saw this. These are awesome and I can't wait to see what else you come up with
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    really nice. might try somthing myself
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I love the fountain, but the skulls could use some more drippy wax :D Nicely done :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    no crits, this is very well done!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    very good work, can't say more than others :)

Regarding fountain, does it have 1 texture sheet for everything?
    If yes, you could actually have calm water and leaking water in 2 separate texture sheets in order to have them animated with UV offset and /or rotation.
    In such a case u will need the water to be tileable.

In any case, great work !
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOVE...............

your style.....:-D
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Really nice work!
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    I'm chiming in here as well, I love this kind of artwork. Imo you nailed it and I'm glad that there are still people around that do this oldschool artwork.

Yeah Mando I'm a regular comedian.
  • Mando Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty funny that anyone would call the implementation of traditional painting in video game development "oldschool artwork".

I guess we have different definitions for what is "oldschool".

cycloverid - I was wondering as to how do you keep your highlights and fine detail from looking lo-res and pixel-ated?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I think it turned out great, nice work.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for all the comments. I've been getting a couple work-related responses, so keeping myself busy!

Xenobond: I was actually going for something a little different at first too. That was, until I saw this:

ss80-hires.jpg

Marnik: Thanks man, I'll try to keep it coming.

Ruz: Hand-painted is the most fun!

Matroskin: Yeah 1 for everything. I know what you mean with the tileable water bit. I've done that before, but I wanted to put it all on one sheet for this for simplicity. A good observation though.

hobodactyl: That's a good point, the skulls are a bit too clean atm.

MandoMagic: To make the details look sharper, I basically just speckle in the highlight in areas where it'd be more intense, instead of just having it just outline the dark areas. I suppose this would follow for every bit of sharp detail in a low-res texture. I personally feel that painting at 4X the size is a bit wasteful in most cases.

That's the best I can explain it!
  • Mando Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on, dude. Thanks for the pointers.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    MartinH wrote: »
    I'm chiming in here as well, I love this kind of artwork. Imo you nailed it and I'm glad that there are still people around that do this oldschool artwork.

Yeah Mando I'm a regular comedian.

Yeah ... this is not "old-school". These are the foundations every solid artist in our industry should know. Also, a ton of games still rely on hand-painted, stylish diffuse.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    maybe old school was a poor choice of words as it seemed to have rubbed people the wrong way. Was merely pointing out that I see a lot of people using curvature maps, occlusion bakes and a heavy use of photosource to create their color maps nowadays so it is nice to see artwork like this with a nice, well painted color map and nothing else.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    **UPDATE**

Hello again Polycount,

I decided to work on a couple more props in this style due to the amount of fun I had doing the first couple. It took 5 work days from concept to completion on these babies, so I think my speed could stand to improve.

BlizzardPropTWO.jpg

The wireframes wouldn't fit in the currently sized sheet. Sorry :(

Alternative Pillar concept:

One thing that I would do differently on another pillar design like the one above is make the gargoyle more integrated into the design rather than tacked on. But, keeping this same design, I think the following would also work quite well:

Obligatory Unicorn Variation
    Pillar2.jpg:)

If you'd like to see anything else improved, please let me know!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks great.

My only concern is that demon head sort of not matching the pillar. It looks not integrated with it due to different color and sharp transition from head to pillar.
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickass! teach me!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome textures again man. I agree with matroskin on the abrupt nature of the demon head goign into the pillar though. really like that circular diasis with the book on it.
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excelent texture work
    cycloverid

Keep up
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, more unicorns! Good work though, very nice.
    Planning on combining these into a level or set of some?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice texture work, I like your UV space usage too. Always nice to see how others UV space, it usually shows me a new way to do something! :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    !

uuunnniiiicooorrrnnnnnnn

new stuff looks ace, dig that floor podium thing. real nice definition of surfaces. Not too sure on the garg statue metals though, doesn't seem to flow very well with the pillar. Maybe if they were stone too? cool stuff!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome texturing, I love this stuff.

I know it's probably lower on your list, but since you're doing regular alpha blend, those flames might look better if they had a non-black background. right now they have a bit of an alpha halo. If you were using additive blending black would be the way to go though.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. Here's what it looks like in all green:

Pillar3.jpg
    hmmmmm. It does look more fitting, but less interesting color-wise.

matroskin: The color was simply an attempt at an interesting color scheme :D.

morte: thanks, I don't think I have anything to teach you though!

pixelmasher: ^same reply as matroskin ^^

ocarian: thanks!

StJoris: I was thinking about moving on to more next gen, but we'll see.

carlo_c: I'm glad I could help!

moose: I'll try the stone look.

Slum: Maybe you could elaborate? I always do it this way. Are you saying that using another color (ex: blue or white) would eliminate this problem? I see what you're talking about, but I'm afraid this is a subject that I'm a little hazy on!