Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - S&W 500 -C&C please

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
McBradd polycounter lvl 12
This is my progress so far on the Smith & Wesson model 500. My intention is to model this as a weapon for a next-gen FPS. I intend to model a high-poly version to bake the normals from. Also, I am modeling all the parts of the gun discretely so that I can animate reload cycles and firing cycles later. Any and all Comments and critiques are welcome. I'd much rather correct errors now than have to redo large chucks of work later. Thank you.
Maya Screengrab
3420799168_42f9621a3c_o.png

Edged Faces Maya Screengrab
3424099377_276393c5ec_o.png

Flickr photo set of references and progress

3424063955_022bc719ac_b.jpg

Replies

• obeyjohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyjohnny polycounter lvl 11
    Why wouldn't you want anyone to know that your modeling all the parts? When you do things discretely, people notice your peculiar behavior and tend to stop trusting you as a person.

You should really consider creating this model in a more open and honest manner. You'll feel better about it in the end.

hahahaha
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this the lowpoly? Bockout? Start of highpoly?
    It seems like a blockout to me, because its way too messy to be a lowpoly mesh, and it will need to be a lot more accurate to be a decent highpoly mesh. Theres nothing wrong with having a blockout mesh, infact its a great way to start, i just want to make sure you're not considering this as a lowpoly/basis for the highpoly because atm its nowhere close to being either.

I would study your refs a good deal more, because there are some glaring innacuracies here, the barrel seems to have some strange tapper shapes to it, when infact its a really simple octagonal shape. The grip needs a lot more love, it seems like you're just kind of modeling the general shape here, which is fine for a blockout, but nothing else.

From here you should concentrate on reworking pretty much everything, or salvaging what you can with geometry suitable to sub-ds, for your highpoly mesh, and then what that is done, you'll want to build a new(possibly start from the blockout) mesh around the highpoly.

Take a good look through this thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014