Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prop Dump.

Reference for the desk below.
http://www.projectphidev.com/modules/Forums/files/jason_computer_desk_inspiration.jpg

Desk
deskrender.jpg

sink - untextured
sink.jpg

Bed
bed.jpg

Pallets
pallets-copy.jpg

I know that 504*6=3024, but I missed some verts when I went through optimizing Heh

Lamp
lamp.jpg

I got bored and remapped this lamp for variety.

lamp3shades-copy.jpg

What do you think?

Replies

• JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    I like the desk, I have one more or less like the one you modelled :)

The looks great, but maybe a bit empty. You're going for a dirty texture, or for clean shiny?

The bed is looking good, but I think you should add wrinkles to the bed, will look more real

The pallet looks too much nice for me... I mean, you should broke a bit the wood, so it looks damaged

I love the lamp's texture :D
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Couple things.

• Stop using see-through XRay vision mode for your wireframes. Can't read anything.
    • Light stuff like the sink and the bed so we can actually see shadows and speculars.
    • Your polygon distribution for the sink doesn't fit. You probably have more edgeloops in the spicket / handles than you do the actual basin of the sink.
    • Get more bevels and chamfers to round off the edges of the sink so it doesn't look razor sharp along the edge.
    • Get rid of Mr. Spooky Spec-Ops Agent-Guy from your prop renders. He doesn't fit or have any place in the scene.
    • The main surface of the bed needs to read as something else other than "gray".
    • The top table looks fine, but I would question whether this is a procedural render or an actual texture / UV job. Putting some actual texture on the legs of the table and changing up the glass slightly would sell it more believably.
    • The pallet looks fine, but keep in mind, by creating a stack like this, you have identified exactly how that pallet can be used. By creating just 1 cool pallet, your designer / environment artist can use it in a multitude of ways. If you are going to create a stack like this, it can only be placed just like that - as a stack. In which case, get rid of any of the bottom faces and reduce your tri count. Ultimately though, you should just make 1 and impress us with your texturing / modeling skills with that.
  • Quokimbo
    Thank both of you for your comments, I will try to build on what you both have said, maybe even tweak these a bit...

Anyone else?
  • larolaro
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    If i'm not mistaken that Mr Spooky Spec-Ops Agent-Guy is a Combine soldier decompiled from hl2. ;p
  • Quokimbo
    RobG wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken that Mr Spooky Spec-Ops Agent-Guy is a Combine soldier decompiled from hl2. ;p

It is true. I need to remove him though, when I was rendering I just did not think of it lol.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only one who will comment on the HUGE degree of noise in these pics...? I mean, I like to sharpen the odd texture too, but damn, these are so sharp they could cut baby Jesus.
  • Quokimbo
    odium wrote: »
    Am I the only one who will comment on the HUGE degree of noise in these pics...? I mean, I like to sharpen the odd texture too, but damn, these are so sharp they could cut baby Jesus.

I see it in the plaid looking lamp shade, but that is about it? Maybe my eyes are untrained, and I have no idea what I am looking for?
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Each lamp looks really noisy, the wooden pattet does too.

Its like you are using the nVidia normal map filter to make your textures? If you are, shame on you! But still, go for a softer look on those normals, otherwise its just turning to noise.

Here is an example:

pc_tex_ex_1.png
  • Quokimbo
    Softer look on the normals? Check! I will try that? :)