Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: G. Spencer

Years ago, I aspired to be in the gaming field, designing, or doing art. But, unfortunately, real life got in the way and I had to let those dreams go for awhile. Now, I'm trying to see if there is a chance of rekindling some of the fire I once had. Haven't done any artwork in over 10 years till this past weekend, scribbling on some clean sheets of paper. It was funny how once I got back into a flow, i remembered how much I loved drawing, and I'm hoping to be able to pull it into the 3d world as well now. I am completely self taught, which will account for the amateurish nature of the drawings, but I need to start somewhere. It was last week I came across this site, which was mentioned on a 3d artist's page (artbymanny.com), and thats what inspired me to attempt this. Looking forward to any critiques at all, and just general help in pushing myself to make a jump into something I love doing. My first time stepping into an art forum, but I prefer blunt honesty, and have a feeling I'll get it here...=) (Be gentle though, lol) As soon as I get some of these doodles scanned, I'll start posting them.

/spencer

Replies

• G.Spencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm posting now are completely random drawings I did, with nothing particular in mind other than to put something, anything, on paper. Me, a couple pencils and a case of coronas...:poly142: and yes, I actually had just finished watching the latest episode of clone wars on cartoon network... jedi & sith were on the brain..hehe.
    anyhow, the first couple sheets:

1.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
  • G.Spencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, some more scribbles from the past couple days...

10.jpg
    11.jpg
    8.jpg
  • G.Spencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple from today. The horse headed figure was something I started thinking about when I saw all this Dominance War stuff. Might want to take this one further, we'll see...

12.jpg

I decided to clean it up a little by tracing over the original scribble...

horsehead.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I really dig the style you have going - more !
  • Demotion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defiantly a cool style you got going on. The detail work is really nice and reads well. I think some of your drawings need a little perspective work, epically the last one of the horse-man. The head's perspective going two different directions( the base of the head is 3/4 view while the mouth and snort look more towards the front). I love the hawk on the first page.
  • G.Spencer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the comments, much appreciated. I agree, and picked up a book on perspective the other day, and am trying to wrap my brain around it now. I'll be doing another round up of stuff this weekend, and see if anything improves based on that learning...

Bounchfx: I wish I could paint! I checked out your sketchbook, and can see the improvements you have made from the first to the last image...very nice. I went and picked up a wacom and painter, and I know im probably getting ahead of myself, but I couldnt help it, hehe. Though I know it will be some time before I feel
    anything is worth posting that comes from it...