Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Gym / Training Center

Daaark
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Daaark polycounter lvl 17
After months of not having any inspiration to work on anything, I started work on this. Just for fun. Although, I might use it for a stage for something I've working on if I like how it turns out.

Just meant to be a clean, simple, diffuse only, low poly scene.

Viewport3.jpg
WrestlingGym12.jpg
WrestlingGym10.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with the ceiling. I've been looking around at different references pictures of old gyms. I liked these rafters, so I modeled them out for the hell of it. But in the end, the ceiling would never be seen with my intended eventual use, so it doesn't really matter.

I was going to add wall mounted punching bags, but I saw some free standing ones while looking for references of the mounting bracket things, and liked them better.

I did the benches by eye, and now I think they look too thick.

I'll probably add posters all over the walls a few more props near the doors, finish off the shape of the walls, and then call it a day. Until then, the window meshes are free-floating in the walls.

*The figures are not mine. just there for visual reference while I work.

Not sure why I get that grey smear in the left side of the room. The lighting is mirrored, and it only shows up when I do AO. I was thinking it was a shadow from one of the lamps, but that's not it.

Replies

• Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Right now the scene is very symetrical. Try to break that up. Have the stairs on one side rather than both. Also, the stair railing concrete bit at the bottom is a very weird shape.

Nice start! :)
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    should be some heavy bags in there..:)
    dunno, what type of gym is it?
    I train at a muay thai place down here in atlanta and there are long racks with many 7' tall bags for kicking, knees, ect. if its a boxing gym, im sure it would have the same setup (shorter bags though...) hardly anybody uses the bags mounted on posts like that, they tend to go flying when you land a good kick.
    oh, and lots of (smelly) spare gloves, headguards, and shin guards in there, just to add a nice touch. keep it up!:poly142:
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon wrote: »
    Also, the stair railing concrete bit at the bottom is a very weird shape.
    What is weird about it?

That got to be the way it is because I didn't feel like chopping up all the polygons when extruding the stairs. So I just edge extruded the last edge and made single poly stairs coming out of the raised part.

Then I made that concrete bit to cover up the sides, and it raised all the way up to where the pole railing is. It was blocking the view of the stairs. So I lowered it to follow along the rim, and added that new railing.

I have a better idea for the back of the room now. I'll have the raised part go across the whole length, and I'll kill the windows and add some kind of banner along that back wall.

The two entrances will serve a purpose.

I may have to do something about the turnbukles. I modeled them very precisely, but now they are over 250 polygons each (* 12 = 3000 quads). I often see them modeled as a single quad, but that looks horrible. I may make padded ones.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 wrote: »
    should be some heavy bags in there..:)
    dunno, what type of gym is it?
    What type of gym? A symmetrical one!

It's a wrestling ring dumped in an old gym. So I don't need boxing or kickboxing gear in there. I used the standing bags because I thought they were more visually appealing, and I could rig them to react to getting hit, or grappled.

Is this the kind of rack you meant? I may move the vending machine up top, and use one of those racks in it's place.

I redid the back part, and threw some dummy objects up there. And..umm.. I guess the vending machine is going for the pin...
    WrestlingGym13.jpg

I'd like to use the ring to make a ring editor like Fire Pro soon.