Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Piss Alley

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys :). Haven't posted in some time, but I haven't worked on much at home in ages... I wanted to do something in Unreal, as I don't have much experience with the engine.

Anyway, I decided to do a scene from somewhere I visited with I was in Tokyo. It's called Piss Alley. It's basically a bunch of really narrow alleys, with sushi dives and bars. It got it's name because up until a few years ago, there was no plumbing in the area :(. Supposedly it inspired parts of Blade Runner.

Here's some shots of the place:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samwilkins/239412226/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gunga_galunga/320088343/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/janiscula/2556500402/sizes/o/ (Used this one a lot for inspiration, as it really describes the locale well).

Originally I thought I'd do the whole alley... but yeah, that'd take forever.

And here's what I have so far:

pissalley2.jpg

It's a fairly dark scene, and normally would be well lit from outside, but since it's a one off scene, I chose to focus it more inside than out. I'm probably going to crack up a few of the wall boards a bit here and there, and maybe add a couple more things on the wall in the kitchen. I'd also like to do a few more spots of storytelling here and there. Nothing too over the top, just real world cases.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    look friggin awsome
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice one! I can imagine someone getting stabbed just out of frame
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really good so far, your lighting is working really well for the scene and your materials read well.

The only thing I might say is that compositionally the bright lantern is where my eyes are drawn to but the kitchen part is much more interesting to look at. Maybe you might want to try and find a way to lead my eye there rather than the lantern.

Looking at the ref photos you've linked to you've really captured the feeling of the place, the only thing missing from the scene are people lol :P
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice man ! but i just want to ask you are you going to light up the fore ground ? beacuse atm i get the feeling its in the morning or the evening .
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    this is pretty cool. do u think you could upload this so we can download it to view in real time? i really like this by the way. has life in it. feels lived in or worked in.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Carlo_c: Yeah, I see your point. I guess I wanted a contrast of the soft lighting where people would sit, and the functional more sterile kitchen. I'm not the greatest lighter, so hard for me to nail it perfectly. As for the people in the scene, the most you'll get out of me is cardboard cutouts ;)

Duxun: If this was a full scene, with the whole alley, I'd totally be lighting up a lot of the front area. There's actually usually more light on the outside than inside from the reference. But since you can't see the outside, I figured I'd just leave it darker. I thought it might be too busy if everything is lit.

Frozan: Possibly, I'll have to ask how that's normally done. It's a portfolio piece, so I wouldn't want pieces of it used elsewhere.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEY, very nice scene here man. I'm loving the lighting. (although the glow/blur on the lantern i think is a bit too strong).

but overall, the lighting has really great contrast and im loving all the detail you've put into the walls and floors. looks very real. mm. very inspiring.

how long did this take you to do? actual work hours.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, actual hours.. I suppose it might have been a good idea to keep track, I just never do it for personal stuff. I have to keep track minute to minute at work with what I'm doing, so that's enough for me ;)

Judging by when I dloaded my first reference image, I started on February 18th or so. I'd work on it for a few hours most nights of the week, and a bit longer on the weekends. So about a month, give or take, of that seems right.
  • PhantasmicNova
    This looks really good!
    Nothing negative to say besides what others have said about the exterior lighting.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah if I end up doing more on the outside I'll definitely be lighting that area up.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    This is lovely work! Really nice lighting and materials! It has a great flow to it!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    i like it a lot, nice work!
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    really nice piece of art, love it. i always love these asian lanterns :D
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome lighting, I love the contrast between the yellow of the lantern and the white light of the kitchen
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That lighting is really awesome. Do you think you could post a screen from the 'lighting contribution only' view mode?
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Here's the lighting info:

I can see that the broom is floating slightly, and that I could probably try to tone down that shadow coming from the handle. Its hard to see in the dark regardless.

pissalleylighting.jpg
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, someone PMed me about how I did the lantern shader. I thought I'd just post it here and share. For anyone that's used Unreal much, it's pretty simple for most, and could be done better.

Anyway, here's the shader with the explination after:

pissalleyshader.jpg

So, this is basically a masked Fresnel shader. Starting off at the bottom left, I used a Fresnel shader with a 2.0 value, and added that into a multiply node. I didn't end up using the multiply, so this fresnel could have gone right into the Add node. That's the outer glow. I did this as I figured there'd be some bounced light, and that helps simulate that.

Above that is the Inner glow. It has a fresnel value of 0.5, which is put into a 1-x node. 1-x inverts the effect. So instead of having an outer glow like the one below it, there's an inner glow. The normal map is plugged into the fresnel so it follows the grooves of the lantern a bit. I didn't do that on the other one, as the two were fighting each other.

These both get added together. So now if this was on a sphere, you'd have sphere with a consistent glow at any angle which simulates something being on the inside of the model.

Above that I have a multiply node which controls the brightness of the lantern. After that, the color is input.

Finally, I masked the result with the alpha in my diffuse. The lerp is using a constant of zero for A for the dark areas, the glow for B, and the alpha mask. I darkened the top and bottom in the mask to further localize the glow a bit.

Anyway, again, I'm not an Unreal expert or anything, but this is just how I did it.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Hi, I love the lighting, would it be possible to get a view of the Unreal viewport so I can see how you have positioned your lights. My own lighting is poor and I would live to see how you have got such a nice soft lighting effect.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do up a render when I get home.

I should also note I had a co-worker, Herod Giliani, do an overpaint which helped me with some of the lighting. While I'm good at replicating and expanding on a lighting concept, I'm not the best at doing it from scratch. It's definitely something I want to get better at. Credit where credit is due :).
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    looks really great. good work
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    beautiful light set-up cool and warm contrast most always results in win!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Really really cool man, put in my inspiration folder.

One little thing that could add just a bit more to the piece (nit picking now) is maybe have some random moths or flies flying around the main light? Looks like a pretty junky place... so why not eh :P

Awesome work man!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really really cool man, put in my inspiration folder.

One little thing that could add just a bit more to the piece (nit picking now) is maybe have some random moths or flies flying around the main light? Looks like a pretty junky place... so why not eh :P

Awesome work man!

Hey, awesome idea, I may just do that :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think you should put a giant stinky turd out where the tiles break apart. There should be stink lines and flies.

Ya thats right. Put some shit in this piece. Shit alley.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit Alley eh? That's a road you've been up a few times eh? BAM!

I was referring to anal sex.

Annnyway... here's a pic with my light placement as requested:

pissalleylighting2.jpg

In general I just used a lot of point lights. There's some spotlights in the kitchen coming from the neon lights, as well as one spotlight coming from above outside casting the shadows inside.

For the soft lighting areas people were asking about, I think the key there is to use a light with a lot of falloff. I had to play with the blending a lot to make it look more like one seamless source as best as I could.

There's a bunch of small lights placed in key spots to get a better rim light off of things like the chairs, and the beer bottle.

Umm, other than that, I'd just make very low intense lights for bounce lighting where areas where too dark.

Hope that helps!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nope sorry, this sucks without a shit turd somewhere.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »

I'll photoshop your face into the scene. How's that sucka?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many lights do we not bake lightmaps anymore in the game industry?

Scene is cool thou I like it alot, just not a fan of the amount of lights your using.
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aftermath wrote: »
    So many lights do we not bake lightmaps anymore in the game industry?

Scene is cool thou I like it alot, just not a fan of the amount of lights your using.

Everything is baked into lightmaps in my scene...? I have zero dynamic lights in that. While I'm not 100% sure on the lighting limitation of Unreal, I'd figure if it's all getting baked, one light affecting the lightmap texture is the same as 10? It might take longer to bake, but this scene maybe took 15 mins or so.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    adamBrome wrote: »
    lol!!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    yes, provided your baking vetex lighting or lightmaps (vertex will consume less memory if the objects are simple), the number of lights in the scene doesn't really matter. Its looking good, and yea, falloff plays a huge role in Unreal's lighting.

Would you mind posting a lighting only view of the scene?

Cheers,

Tyler
  • Dakkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev wrote: »

Would you mind posting a lighting only view of the scene?

Cheers,

Tyler

See page 1 ;)