Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: andersh

andersh
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
andersh polycounter lvl 10
Met Josh Singh and Walrus over at the Dominance War Booth at GDC, and they encouraged me to join the forums.

CRITIQUE WELCOME

Here is the stages of my latest character, created for a class assignment. Looking for crits on the sculpt before I finish the sculpt up and move on to transferring maps and texturing.

The piece is based on a concept by Carlos Huante (looove his creatures).

First attempt at ZSpheres:

01_ZSphereA.jpg

First Pass:04_FirstPassSculpt.jpg
Second Pass:
05_SecondPassSculpt.jpg
Third Pass:
09_FinalSculptPreview.jpg
Fourth pass and posed for the assignment:
-3.jpg
-2.jpg
ZBrush Retopo:
huantalien01_full.jpg

I feel like I rushed into surface details and posing too early, but had to make the assignment - I'd like to hear some crits on the matter. I'd like to improve the sculpt a little more and then go ahead and work on the texture.

Thanks guys ! Hope to become an active member of the community here. I remember downloading Quake2 models at polycount back in the day :)

Replies

• andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to come up with an interesting design for my Dominance War IV entry - I don't consider myself a character concept artist (though I practive my drawing and painting skills), but I saw that there was a "No teams" clause in the DW4 rules, and so I am attempting to design the character myself.

My initial inspiration was to do a female norm "shaman" type character, but then I wanted to update it to fit in with the DW aesthetic. I was initially using Keira Knightley in Arthur as reference...I might work some more of that in.

Overall I'm finding my costume ideas boring and unoriginal. I'll try a few more silhouettes, and if nothing works I'm going to try doing some creature thumbs and do a demon instead :poly141:

Paperdoll02.jpg
    Paperdoll01.jpg
  • L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L polycounter lvl 11
    hey there Andersh, I am also a huge huante fan. the 3d creature is looking pretty cool so far. gl to you on cranking that out man.
  • Demotion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the zbrush model. Nice detail and polyflow. I'm not digging too much on the stance of your 2d character. You should definitely texture the zbrush model
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey! I forgot I started this sketchbook as a place to dump my stuff on Polycount....

here's some stuff i finished in the last month or so..

zbrushBust01_full.jpg
    boxer01_full.jpg
    superMarioSculpt01_full.jpg

Could be fun and quick to do a low poly of the Mario bust..but I've been trying to clear my plate off so I can get involved in some of the modeling challenges going on..
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoy this.
    Proceed..