Home Technical Talk

Armor - Modeling and Texturing

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
hi guys, i just wondered if any one had some tips or techniques on the specifics of creation of armor - these were my last examples, and i think i successfully made the armor look like concrete :) epic fail :(

warriornormalspose02.jpg
warriornormalspose03.jpg

so in anticipation of entering the domwar with a character with full on archaic gothic armor, i wanted to see if this direction is viable or visually effective

cheers for any suggests guys.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would suggest keeping the diffuse fairly chiller like it looks you did but having some extremes in the spec, some highlights painted for worn edges, darkened cracks where grime would cover metals gleam.

colored spec can also really help sell a metallic quality, especally for any metals like bronze or gold where the color is kinda brownish but its the yellow highlights that tell you instinctively its gold.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah you basically have zero specular there... it reads more like butter than metal. :)

Another thing that can really help is an environment cubemap for reflection - you can use the specular intensity to mask this, although ideally a reflection mask texture can be used. It's not vital, it just helps to sell the reflective effect that a lot of polished metal (ie. armour) has.