Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CE2 - Visualisation

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
michi.be polycounter lvl 17
Althought it's silent about me and my procjets I'm happy to be able to share some of my latest contract work with you.
Currently I'm working for an upcoming Cryngine² licensee on realtime visualisation for solar technology.
There's no NDA and I'm allowed to share some stuff.

This level is a prototype I did to iron out a concept and workflow of doing such a visualisation for a public presentation. Its a complete 2 square kilometers rebuild of a place in Bavaria Germany.

This work is a bit different from game-developing since you fly around it on a high of around 5-8 metres and you have to see the whole level but with reasonably frames.

So most techniques for culling geometry into fog or just fading it out by adjusting the viewdistance doesn't apply here. It has to be a sunny athmosphere.
Last but not least the geometry has to be as photorealistic as possible which usally means performance impacts for complex shaders.
There are over 750.000 vegetation objects in the level plus nearly 6.000 solarpanel models which needed to be alligned mostly "by hand" to fit the shape of the terrain.

I got around some performance problems with intensive use of LoD models. The solarpanel for example reaches from 1600 tris to 133tris.
Secondly I used a short spriteviewdistance for my fields. Sprites cover a good volume of screenspace. So a low values was better here.
Occluders were used for the geometry, even the solarpanel got one.
The problem of tiling textures from such a high perspective was solved by importing a heavily photoshoped satellite picture which blends smooth into the detail layer.
Vegetation details like the flowers were archived by scaling them a little bit bigger as usualy. So you still notice them from 5 metres.

We had a lot of other issues to sort out and I don't want to get into detail too much but the CryEngine has awesome possibilities here and did a great job althought I really pushed it hard to the limit.

There's still some Crysis vegetation in it which is going to be changed until the license arrives. I'm working hard on my European Nature Set with specific vegetation for all the stuff so I decided to work out a working concept first and replace the crysis assets step-by-step.

But for now I call it finished for the stuff I can show here.
Thank for reading - now the pics. :)

weitblick.jpg

t%fcmpel.jpg

tansformator.jpg

zaun_detail.jpg

verkehrsschild.jpg

kamera.jpg

panel_detail.jpg

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    looking great dude, if your looking for some critique, i would break up the transition from nature to road surface a bit more, but overall very cool.

i guess if your only going to use this for presentations and demonstrations, you can make sure your demo machine is a beast with multiple GPUs and insane amount of memory :D

maybe even treat us to a short fly-through animation? ;)
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I cant upload an animation.
    This prototype was made to work on 20-25 frames on a 8800GTS. :)

I agree with the road it could be more detailed like other spots too. but you dont notice while flying through the map.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's very, very cool. Interesting project, I like the solutions you came up with for it.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    From Bottom to Top
    -I like this shot. The Solar panels would really good with a reflection map on them though. The metal support feels a bit large and clean also.
    -The Framing on this shot is kind of poor, Put it off-center and get more of the landscape in the frame and it may pull together much more nicely.
    -Same as the last picture, frame it up differently so that the signs not dead center.
    -Not quite feeling the texture on that fence, it feels a little large to me. and it's really clean.
    -The houses are really clean. If the grass was that high I would expect it to be a little more weathered.
    -Not bad, maybe filling some of that empty space on the left may help it a little more. but not bad.
    -I like it.

All the shots can be pulled together with a touch of Depth of field if possible. Great stuff though. Keep it up.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    man i knew that these pictures where showing some german/bavarian scene even bevore i´v read your text.. evil galvanised metal :D

looks very cool

the thing that´s bugging me the most is the odd contrast in verkehrsschild.jpg

and can you post a picture in the way the environment is supposed to be presented (flying over it)

oh and btw.. which place in bavaria is it showing?
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rdmlegend: Yes Iknow its very clean. Its because all the stuff is brand new and supposed to show the state after completion. Personally I like a dirty more but the task was a clean metal.

I will post shots this evening when I com home.