Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback need..also got some stupid questions

The_hobbyist
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
The_hobbyist polycounter lvl 17
Hello
I need feedback on this bugger.
I would like to get some tips on how to improve her.

Wanted to get a stylized babe in Burton style...long neck, long limbs, long fingers.

The whole stream on flicker on the link bellow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34425962@N04/sets/72157615898985264/
Pic of Burtonstye babe

About the model

Done in maya2008.
Faces: 7532
Tris: 14652
Texture size: 2*1024 (the clothes and skinn) and normal map and spec map.

DUMB guestion section ( I have not done a lot since maya 1.0 back in 1998 so some things seems cunfusing)

1) Why do peeps keep calling a color map for a diffuse map when it is clearly mapped to the color and not the diffuse channel?

2) Did my first normal map ever and red through the forum that you need to clean it up. But it s not like cleaning up an old bump map with only b/w. Seems messy to keep track on what you are doing in photoshop with the color range of a normal map.

3)Is it better to go through Z-brush to generate a normal map or use transfear map function in maya?

4) The latter one just keep shutting my system down=(.

Replies

• VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a nice start on the female model. If you are shooting for the Burton style, as you said, I would suggest exaggerating her features even more. Right now she looks like a doll of a young teenager. Longer neck legs and arms for sure. With that, you could also bring in the waist, while excentuating the bust and butt by just a tad.

Also consider scaling the nose down, for Burton, its usually very VERY! thin for the attractive characters; as well as scaling the eyes up. Not anime huge, but bigger than what you have here. Like I said before tho, good start, and nice job.

The boots confuse me. They look like she covered those big yellow rain boots with a shower curtain.

1. as far as ive been told, color and diffuse are interchangeable names for the same map
    2. not actually a question. lulz
    3. personally i think using z brush to generate a normal map is a tad easier to do, and with anything thats easier, i dont think it does as clean of a job as Maya's transfer maps.
    4. welcome to the beautiful world of , "SHIT! shoulda saved!"
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yea when you say so.. the boots look kind of odd. Think I did a bad spec map on them.
    Also burton characters do got smaller nose then the one on my pic.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man. Looking pretty good thus far. Jim made some solid points.

The boots would normally be just solid yellow or something so I like the fact you made them a little different. Could use more spec tho like your saying.

As for the posts. It would be easier for everyone to look at if your images if they are straight on the thread. With that said I will have to re-recommend using photobucket.com. I have had no problems with it and I can post images straight to the forum instead of linking people elsewhere. (seems to defer people away from leaving feedback)

Just a suggestion but besides that I like were your works going and appreciate that your picking maya back up. Fun stuff. Keep up the good work and post some updates when you finish them.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    good start man. It seems like you were able to hit what you were aiming for

1) Why do peeps keep calling a color map for a diffuse map when it is clearly mapped to the color and not the diffuse channel?

Everyone has there word for it, I believe in max they actually call it diffuse on the shader if I recall. Diffuse is just a more accurate term for what it is, but the term color and diffuse are interchangeable.

2) Did my first normal map ever and red through the forum that you need to clean it up. But it s not like cleaning up an old bump map with only b/w. Seems messy to keep track on what you are doing in photoshop with the color range of a normal map.

Cleaning up normal maps is actually almost identical to cleaning a bump map. You wouldn't want to just start painting on the whole map. Go to the channels and work through R,G,B and clean each one up by them selves. You'll notice when your only working on one channel at a time it is displayed in grey scale, with 50% grey being no affect, just like a bump map =]. It is just more time consuming since you have to clean up multiple channels.

3)Is it better to go through Z-brush to generate a normal map or use transfear map function in maya?

Personally I prefer to bake my maps either in maya or max. Some people have really wrapped there brain around the zbrush baking tools and get great results but overall I've found maya does the trick the best.

4) The latter one just keep shutting my system down=(.

The downside to baking in maya is your probably not going to be able to bring the whole mesh in at once, On my system I generally can squeeze 5-6 mill polys in before it crys. This is where planning on splitting your mesh up before the sculpting phase is beneficial. If you didn't though no worries, just export the mesh out in chunks and bake each chunk separate, after you have all the different pieces baked just comp it back together on one map!

Hope that helped a little bit man!
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment my work.
    I will post a corrected pic of my burton babe this week.
    -changing the spec map
    -changing the pose
    -Adjusting the limbs
    -fixing texture and normal map