Home Technical Talk

Rage screenshots & Seneca Menard podcast

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Some Rage editor & Modo screenshots, including some Megatexture-style terrain stuff.

Top of the page has a link to a podcast-thing interviewing Seneca Menard, id's Technical Artist.

http://www.luxology.com/community/blog/entry.aspx?id=136

Replies

• Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    i will listen to this, good find :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty good modcast, that one. Seneca's the king of modo scripting.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thx alot for the link,- one of the few impressive game/ technology developments I am actually interested in
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    One funny thing I thought is where they talk as if Modo invented scripting languages... the host talks about everyone else having to do C++ plugins... they're speaking like maxscript, MEL script etc. don't exist :)

Well, it is a Luxology podcast after all, I guess they always want to push their product.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Yeah Seneca is awesome. I can't even guess how much time I've saved using his scripts.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    g0th wrote: »
    Yeah Seneca is awesome. I can't even guess how much time I've saved using his scripts.

i use a few from him, and are excellent ^^

BTW, be sure to check out the new features of modo.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, 401's shaping up to be a pretty good launch, but I'm still waiting for charater animation, personally :P

And a projection cage for baking.

And Maya-esque hard/soft edges.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    If Lux manage to get character animation in there this upgrade would be insane :)

I don't think projection cage and soft/hard edges are a priory for Lux but that along with nodes and vertex color support in the materials is something I really want to see.

But I'm quite satisfied with what they showed so far. The new modelling tools seems very interesting.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem with id is that they always have great ideas, and are usually very ahead of the curve technically and artistically, but by the time they actually release their games and related sdk it's usually very late and the technology has moved forward.

They've been talking about mega-textures for 6 years now, and only ET:Quake Wars has used it in a game so far. By the time they finish rage, way better tools will have come along....heck there are great tools out there already.

At conception, the doom3 engine was a thing of unimaginable beauty but by the time it was released, the Unreal and Crytek engines were already close to completion and offering much better effects. Same thing will happen with the rage engine.

I love id and everything about them, but sometimes their development plans just don't seem practical.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Ah seneca podcast, and brad in batman costume - how good is that ? ;)